why is the shipping to aus so expensive from the states ?

gaz19j
Community Member

I wanted to buy some coins, cheap.

yet int shipping to Aus is like so high !

example 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Styrofoam-Foam-Blocks-EPS-Cutter-Replacement-Wire-30-Foot-9-M-Hot-Wire-Cr...

who's making the money ?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: why is the shipping to aus so expensive from the states ?

The roll of wire in your link is probably quite heavy and thick, meaning it will need to be sent as a parcel instead of a large letter. Parcel rates are much higher than letter rates. The U.S sellers often use a company for their freight which has ebay affiliations. The item is sent to a warehouse where it is checked, repackaged and then on-sent to the international buyer. All of this extra handling adds to the total cost of mailing the product.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller is using the Global Shipping service which is the slowest and most expensive shipping method from the USA to Australia.

I can assure you that in the grand scheme of the GSP that is a very reasonable price.  It is more cost effective for larger and heavier items.

If you want to get the wire at a reasonable price search for item plus postage lowest first.  While the wire may be a bit more expensive the seller will probably be using cheaper shipping.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

eBay

Re: Exorbitant eBay International Shipping Fees when sending 1 x Shoe from the U.S. to Australia

I’ve had a leg amputated so I now try to purchase a single shoe (not a pair) through eBay. I wear shoes out quickly. Yet the cost of getting a single shoe posted from the U.S. to Australia is wildly expensive.

It’s cheaper to get similar products sent from more distant countries in Europe or Scandinavia than from the U.S.A using eBay International Shipping as the freight provider. And Europe and Scandinavia don’t enjoy the same economy-of-scale on export freight as the U.S.

As an example, I’m currently looking at the following single shoe(s) on eBay. I can purchase:

• 1 x men’s shoe from Georgia USA for US $11 (approximately AU $16.49). But shipping to Australia through eBay International Shipping is: US $51.94 (approx. AU $77.89).
  • 1 x men’s shoe in Tennessee USA for US $8.80 (Approximately AU $13.20). But shipping to Australia through eBay International Shipping is US $50.07 (approx. AU $75.09). That makes shipping 5.5 times more expensive than the product itself. And it’s a massive shipping fee of US $50.07 for 1 x shoe without the box. It’s irrationally expensive.

It very much feels like eBay International Shipping are price-gouging customers. Such tactics don’t just financial harm Australian customers. U.S. sellers are missing out on sales because exorbitant international shipping fees deter foreign customers.

Can you advise whether eBay is planning on reviewing their international shipping fees anytime soon? If eBay aren't, they should.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/145207047300?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=b93vm4wOSO6...

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

eBay are not going to read your rant

This thread was opened in 2017 and other members have explained how things worked

You then open another thread with the same 'complaint'

Spamming the forum with the same thing over and over is not going to get anyone from eBay to see/read it nor change anything

Read up on how it works (as has been explained numerous times already

Or

don't like the price, don't buy

You are not going to magically get 'special postage rates' by spamming here, no matter how many tags you put

And if eBay is as bad as you say, why would you wish to support their site at all?

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply