Cat carriers - advice sought

In my younger fitter days (before arthritis) I had more than one cat and I had many cat carriers.  I still have two containers that are the plastic base to half way up the sides, with wire the rest of the way to the top (container is top opening) with wire handles.  They are as good as the day I bought them (decades ago) but.....they are quite big and heavy....and even worse to carry with a cat in them.

My lovely tabby Zoe is a small cat and she doesn't weigh much but even with her in one of those containers, I am struggling as I get around with the carrier in one hand and a walking stick in the other, especially as the size of the carrier kind of shifts my centre of gravity so to speak. So I have been using her old RSPCA cardboard box which frankly is disgusting.

I've seen soft cat carrier bags on the net (including eBay) but I'm concerned some are too flimsy and wouldn't support the cat or are easy for a cat to rip open.

Can anyone recommend a good sturdy - hopefully not heavy - cat carrier?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Zanadoo, sorry to hear of your arthritis, that must be awful for you.

As far as cat carriers go, it's a shame you can't lift your old carrier as they are the best for putting the cat in and transporting.    However, there is such a thing as a wheeled pet carrier and they can be bought on ebay.  This would make it easier for you to transport your cat.  It doesn't weigh much and can carry up to 7kg.  Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BR-NEW-AIRLINE-WHEELED-MULTI-FUNCTION-PET-CARRIER-FREE-SHIPPING-/31130937...

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@simone4010 wrote:

Hi Zanadoo, sorry to hear of your arthritis, that must be awful for you.

As far as cat carriers go, it's a shame you can't lift your old carrier as they are the best for putting the cat in and transporting.    However, there is such a thing as a wheeled pet carrier and they can be bought on ebay.  This would make it easier for you to transport your cat.  It doesn't weigh much and can carry up to 7kg.  Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BR-NEW-AIRLINE-WHEELED-MULTI-FUNCTION-PET-CARRIER-FREE-SHIPPING-/31130937...

I hadn't considered a wheeled carrier.  This one would not be suitable though.  I don't think the way it tilts up when pulled is very good for the cat.  Very uncomfortable!  I don't see me pushing Zoe around in something that seems based a human stroller either, which is another kind I've seen.  I'd feel very silly. 🙂

I've seen a couple of other designs I like....but they are all in the US and all the sellers use the GSP.  I'd say eBay is not the place to look for a suitable cat carrier.  Oh well.  The quest continues.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply
Group details
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
121 members Open Group Since ‎03-07-2013 08:14 PM
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.