Item specifics

It appears that 'missing item specifics' has been an ongoing problem since at least 2014, judging by previous threads that came up when I typed in my heading.

Some of the item specifics supposedly missing in my listings (and nearly every one of my ~500 supposedly has missing item specifics) are hilarious e.g. a book I have listed that has absolutely nothing to do with cooking is asking that I include the 'regional cuisine' in its item specifics!

But on to my actual question...

I sell a fair bit of clothing, and two of the specifics that mystify me in this category is the difference between 'fabric type' and 'material'. I always include in my description the actual material, and also put it in the 'material' item specifics box, but can anyone tell me what is the relevance of 'fabric type'?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Item specifics

Hi gumleaf_goodies,

Thank you for reaching out to us about the recent changes in the Books categories. We understand the changes might affect the way you sell books. eBay is moving to a product-based category structure that will support a better experience for both buyers and sellers. In addition, we are implementing new item specifics to help find your listings. As the category changes roll out, there will be some fluctuation in the item specifics and left-hand navigation filters which may mean you see some irrelevant item specifics. This should settle down in the next 24 hours. We apologise for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Is there a specific category you are referencing for ‘fabric type’ if so please reply with the details so I can get you an answer. Thank you again for taking the time to share this valuable feedback, and for choosing eBay!

Kind regards, Ella

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

You asked "Is there a specific category you are referencing for ‘fabric type’ "

and in my original post I stated:

""I sell a fair bit of clothing, and two of the specifics that mystify me in this category is the difference between 'fabric type' and 'material'. "

So the specific category I was referring to was CLOTHING. 

So if I have already stated in the material that an item is made of e.g. linen viscose, or polyester cotton, what is the fabric type of each of these examples?

Further to this ridiculous requirement to complete item specifics, no matter how irrelevant they are, was the discovery today on My Ebay that I was required to fill in AU shoe size on the four pairs of shoes I have listed. On checking the listings, not only did I confirm that AU shoe size was present in the title, but it was also already in the required item specific. Obviously your system still has a lot of bugs to work out.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

Ella@seller_update appears to be pretending to be ebay staff   =   troll IMO

There's also no country of registration for that member.

How does that work?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

The little troll that was commenting on people's questions on the forum yesterday (pretending they were eBay staff) was registered in The US

At a guess, I would say when they got done as they should have been, they found some troll way to get around the country on registration for their new pants on fire account 

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

That's funny... When you mentioned the USA I checked the US site and she appears to be really part of the staff there??

https://community.ebay.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/23727388

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

Yes, she is - but I am still not sure of ''this ella'', because her replies are very generic, but I also wonder how in he!! a regular person can sign up for eBay without the details stawks mentioned - I tried and it is impossible.

So 'tis a quandry - I also reported our ''ella'' twice and no removal - I may ask the question over in US see if I get any clarrification

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

Well, if you click on feedback on the US site and the Aussie site, it goes to the same profile, then if you click on her name it says she has been an eBay member since the 1st of September of last year  on the US site and since the 2nd on the Aussie site, but that's because we are a few hours ahead!

OK - I have now checked the US site (the forums), and those who work for eBay don't seem to have the info mentioned in this thread, for example https://community.ebay.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8329422

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

Kat, I also reported 'our ella' twice.

Doesn't make any sense that her profile doesn't show as an ebay employee on our boards, but just a Community Member like the rest of us.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Item specifics

That's weird. For example

https://community.ebay.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8329422

becomes a normal member on eBay Canada https://community.ebay.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/732160

Both community profiles go to the same eBay profile registered on the same day (like with Ella).

If eBay staff members work in a country it should be clear to members in other countries too that they are eBay staff, or it might generate confusion. I don't know if this was the case with the old board because I never had the need to check.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply