Even Decimal coins are now being faked - Buyer Beware

My wife informed me about an article on the threepence blog about a fake 2000 mule dollar which at first I thought that someone had just pressed or stamped the extra rim onto the coin but on reading the article it became apparent that someone is now mass producing counterfeit copies of Australian decimal coins. Have a look at theses listings 162939961163 173206834593 & 173197641793

Yes that is correct, all of these are very poor quality fake decimal coins that uneducated buyers are spending their money on.

The Federal Police need to be investigating this.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Each listing has a report link.

However the most eBay will do is remove a listing at best.

If you feel AFP needs to be notified and have proof then you will need to forward the information yourself.

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/crime-types/counterfeit-currency

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

How do you fake a 2000 $1 mule?

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

By using a $1 press and a 10c press.

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Haha yes I know that kopes but who would want to do that and make a fake mule coin apart from the 6000 that were pressed that way.

There are plenty of fake slabbed coins and silver and perhaps gold coins out there but to make a fake $1 mule why go to all the trouble?

I personally wouldn't buy one as to me they don't have an eye appeal or a quality about them.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I always thought the 2000 mule dollar to be a piece of junk.

For the price of them you can buy one or possibly two gold sovereigns and I know what I would rather have..

But, hey, it is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

They make a fake $1 mule because there is money in it.

Fake 10,000 of them sell them for a $1 or $2 each profit and you have got $10,000 or $20,000

Does not sound like much to us, but that is a small fortune in many other countries.

They are faking Goose dollars in silver now, so buyer be vary aware.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The three listings that I highlighted were the 2000 mule which is a crude chinese copy much like the many 1930 penny fakes floating around ebay. If they make them for a few dollars a piece and some scumbag seller, buys a few then sells them for a few hundred dollars each to buyers not awake to the scammers then there is lots of profit to be made.

As for the 1966 "silver" 50 cent chinese copies they must be getting them really cheap because they sell for bullion value around $8.00 a piece which seems an absolutelty pointless task but they must still be making money from gullible buyers.

Yes I have noticed for a while now that the chinese copy 1967 swan (goose) dollar has been popping up regularly in generic slabs that anyone can buy to put thier coins into and selling for huge profits. Again it is a situation where buyers are not doing their due diligence to learn for themselves the information that will save them hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I have sent a report to the Federal Police with all the information but have not heard anything back from them yet.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I haven't come across a fake 1966 silver 50c coin in the past 20 years of collecting them and if you're correct in saying the 2000 $1 mule coin is more of a fake than real then there would be many buyers out there that have been scammed.

And as for the slabbed coins yes it's easy to see the fakes,but I'm more amazed at how much the PR70DCAM coins sell for compared to the original coin that comes in a coin set.

It all comes down to what a buyer is willing to pay.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

You don't seem to get what I am saying. These are new to the market chinese copies. They are NOW producing poor quality chinese fakes of the 1966 round 50c and the 2000 mule so anyone bidding is going to have to actually compare these to the real coins so they don't get scammed.

Regardless of whether you like to collect them or not, it is now evident that they are producing chinese fakes in pre-decimal and now also decimal coins making it harder to collect any coins. And lets not talk about all the washed, pressed and trimmed notes these scammers are selling as well.

This sort of behaviour and attitude buy sellers and buyers is what is going to kill of the hobby of numismatics.

For those that may want to know more have a look at the Australian coin collecting blog website.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I do get what you're saying but what I'm saying is that I haven't come across any fake coins that I have purchased so far so it's good for me.

And if I did I would know because I know what I am buying and how to check for fakes.

You keep saying they are being produced by the Chinese but I haven't got any in my collection and I am buying plenty of coins.

And I think the hobby is well and done as it is all about making money so yes a buyer needs to know what they're buying and I do know,and as I said before I haven't come across a fake yet.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply