How do I know if this bowl / dish is glass or crystal?

pnc75
Community Member

Hi All, once again I need help.

I have this lovely bowl / dish. (What should I call it?) 

I would really love some help in describing it, as crystal / glass designs are not my forte! 😄

Background information: It belonged to my parents who would have been in their late 90s if they were still alive. They played lawn bowls at state level and won many beautiful crystal pieces etc. This would have been one of their trophies. Probably only used a few times & always kept in a cabinet.

It is approx 19.8  x 13 cm & approx 4.8 cm high

Thanks in advance for any help, and as always, your time is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_4272.jpegIMG_4271.jpegIMG_4266.jpegIMG_4266.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The obvious - any markings.

Just asking as a lovely bowl I have - took me 20 years to discover - Stuart - finely etched. 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Dom, No I couldn't find any. 😞

I also googled the image but no luck. 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Tap it with your fingernail. If it rings, it's crystal.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

looks like a lid or a base...is there another half?

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Tapping with a fingernail only works on fine - meaning thin as in goblets - flutes -  etc.

This is ' thicker ' - could be crystal - lead crystal.

Try tapping any ordinary glass bowl you have - then try again with this bowl - gently with a knife - any diff. ??

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Dom, I have a number of Stuart crystal items.

Thick bowls still ring if tapped.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I just tapped my wineglass - it pinged/rang - it's a Maxwell Whatever his name is - not crystal.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Think this through. If your parents would have been in their 90s today, they would have been born 1930s. I am not sure when they would have been winning trophies for State Lawn Bowls but I imagine they would have been in their 40s (at least?) So this could date 1970's 1980s. You could try searching the Net for years they may have won trophies under their State, - if you know what club/s they played for, you could try searching for their web sites. I am not suggesting that the trophies will be described, but it may give you a guide to the years if you could find them named as winners. I would have thought any important trophy would have been engraved in some way, but perhaps not. Crystal is of course heavier than glass. You could certainly tell by the ridged edges if it was cut or moulded, but the difference between cut crystal and cut glass is more difficult.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Twyn, 

No it doesn't have a lid and isn't meant to. Must be my bad photograph! 😂

Thanks for trying to help, though. 🙂

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply