How do you get books valued? I have came across an 1889 edition of Three Men In A Boat.

Hi, I have came across several old books, a copy of Three Men In A Boat by Jerome. K. Jerome as well as a copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare printed some time before 1910. where would one go to get them valued. The books are in very good condition. The other is a 1935, Illistrated edition of The Complete Works of Shakespeare.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do you get books valued? I have came across an 1889 edition of Three Men In A Boat.

Try Google and see what comes up. There is a 1st Edition Copy of Three Men in a Boat on Ebay at the moment albeit in the UK. 

Or perhaps, take them to a Book Dealer and see what they say. Sometimes just because they are Old, does not make them valuable.

Then try another and see what they say. It may be worth your while ??? 🙂 Also, condition is ALL important. 🙂 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Re: How do you get books valued? I have came across an 1889 edition of Three Men In A Boat.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I am in a country town, the nearest book dealer is about 300kms from me. The conditions are very good, no marks or damages to pages of the spine or binding etc. I am familiar with what is not worth buying when buying books etc. The reason I wanted a valuation is I know how popular Three men In a Boat is, it is still in print. The first edition was 1889. I collect old stuff because I guess I tend to live in the past at times a sort of nostlagic type of person. I have an extensive library and basically wanted an idea whether to keep them seperate from my other books. I did have an autographed copy of H. G. Wells The New Machiavelli some years ago. I have no intention of selling them, it is more for curiosities sake.

Thanks again.

Laurie.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I always run my books through

http://www.abebooks.com

Remember though like on eBay prices are what sellers HOPE for, not what they achieve. You may be able to find the actual edition if you filter. I gather you are not looking to sell the books but want to know if you have something special. I have been selling books (among other things) on eBay for the past 11 years - I have still many many boxes of my own books to sell - in my last house we had a library room, here I have a 3rd bedroom lined with bookcases. I can honestly say that the number of times I have been amazed at the prices books sell for is very few. Almost always books that bring high prices are first editions, with dust jacket (if applicable) - and then you have to find a book that multiple collectors want (for some reason). I guess what I am saying is that if you personally value the book, then by all means regard it as special. I go to bricks and mortar auctions almost every weekend - almost without exception, the things that are hardest to sell are second hand / old books. When I cannot sell my old books on eBay I give them to charity.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Try Google and see what comes up. There is a 1st Edition Copy of Three Men in a Boat on Ebay at the moment albeit in the UK. 

Or perhaps, take them to a Book Dealer and see what they say. Sometimes just because they are Old, does not make them valuable.

Then try another and see what they say. It may be worth your while ??? 🙂 Also, condition is ALL important. 🙂 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your advice. I am in a country town, the nearest book dealer is about 300kms from me. The conditions are very good, no marks or damages to pages of the spine or binding etc. I am familiar with what is not worth buying when buying books etc. The reason I wanted a valuation is I know how popular Three men In a Boat is, it is still in print. The first edition was 1889. I collect old stuff because I guess I tend to live in the past at times a sort of nostlagic type of person. I have an extensive library and basically wanted an idea whether to keep them seperate from my other books. I did have an autographed copy of H. G. Wells The New Machiavelli some years ago. I have no intention of selling them, it is more for curiosities sake.

Thanks again.

Laurie.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I always run my books through

http://www.abebooks.com

Remember though like on eBay prices are what sellers HOPE for, not what they achieve. You may be able to find the actual edition if you filter. I gather you are not looking to sell the books but want to know if you have something special. I have been selling books (among other things) on eBay for the past 11 years - I have still many many boxes of my own books to sell - in my last house we had a library room, here I have a 3rd bedroom lined with bookcases. I can honestly say that the number of times I have been amazed at the prices books sell for is very few. Almost always books that bring high prices are first editions, with dust jacket (if applicable) - and then you have to find a book that multiple collectors want (for some reason). I guess what I am saying is that if you personally value the book, then by all means regard it as special. I go to bricks and mortar auctions almost every weekend - almost without exception, the things that are hardest to sell are second hand / old books. When I cannot sell my old books on eBay I give them to charity.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Hi thanks, yes I just wanted to know if I had something special. My nephews love looking at my "treasures" as they call them. My windows sills are full of old bits of tat and broken things like old brass compasses etc. These books come my way by good fortune almost like an unexpected gift and yes i want to keep them.

I looked at the copy on ebay.uk and mine is in better condition. I heard nostalgia isn't what it used to be, it is a thing of the past. Thanks for your help.

Laurie.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply