Pair Of Large Vases

mankind79
Community Member

Hi, I have a Pair of Asian Vases (Not sure of the Maker). Were sold to me as Satsuma. 1 Vase measures 3cms higher than the other (60 & 63cms high) Has black Japanese writing under both Vases but are different. Both have the same designs and details. 1 Vase though has been repaired by Staples. 7 staples in total and the repair goes from the neck all the way to the bottom and then right around. I couldn't even see it till I looked closer and the staples look part of the designs. I red somewhere that Staple repair was done between 1870 - 1910. Does anyone know anything else that could help?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Pair Of Large Vases

only that a staple job as good as you describe helps authenticate the item. i personally find items repaired in this way quite appealing.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

Could we have photos of the vases and their bases please, staple repair also if you wouldn't mind.  It is very hard to give an opinion on something that you haven't seen.  You can attach 2 photos with each comment.

Wilma

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

mankind79
Community Member

Hi:) It would only let me upload 2 pictures:(

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

mankind79
Community Member

Figured out...LOL

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

mankind79
Community Member

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

OK I am certainly no expert in this field. So I invite others more knowledgeable to correct me.

To me this does not look like Satsuma - perhaps Kutani? I would have thought a date 1870-1920?

There is a section on Satsuma markings here

http://gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml

and on general Japanese markings here

http://gotheborg.com/marks/index_jap_marks.htm

There are a LOT of antique Japanese vases for sale on eBay - scroll through and see if you can see something similar. I am no expert on staple (rivet) repairs either, but until the superior glues of the 20th Century came around, they were really the only way of repairing broken ceramics. They were used for a LONG time (many centuries); as already commented, some collectors find them attractive.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

Satsuma is fine earthenware rather than porcelain, made in japan by ethnic korean potters .satsuma wares tend to have gilding as far as i know. the vases are fine earthenware, but i tend to think the description 'satsuma' isn't quite accurate either.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

mankind79
Community Member

Thank you for the info. will keep searching:)

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Pair Of Large Vases

Hi Mankind,

Yes, they are Satsuma, however, on the very lower end of the scale (Made in about the late1940s for the occupying military forces to send home as gifts).

The so called signature on the bottom is actually a Kiln placer mark. It reads "Left 6"

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply