Should fake stamps be banned from sale on ebay?

There appears to be a plethera of fake lots of stamps for sale on ebay. I just saw a block of 4, 10/- kangaroo with an Ash imprint that looks real but is a fake. Although it is sold as a fake the buyer may not have the same principals and could sell them as genuine and therefore the opportunity should be removed by ebay declining deals involving fake stamps and other fake collectables.

Lets hear others opinions.  Carl.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Should fake stamps be banned from sale on ebay?

Fake stamps are in theory already banned from eBay. You can read eBay's policy on counterfeit coins, banknotes and stamps here.

If fake stamps are being offered on eBay, then it's because (a) nobody's reported them, or (b) there isn't enough evidence to prove to eBay's satisfaction that they are indeed fake.

If the fakes are being sold as "replicas", then it gets murkier, but as I understand it, replica stamps are only OK if they are considerably smaller (75% or less) or considerably larger (150% or bigger) than the genuine stamps.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Hi Thanks for your thoughts.

Obviously  ebay is allowing fakes to be sold. The last ones I saw were marked fake and from Taiwan and they seem to be growing in number. There is no effort to conceal that they are not real and of course onselling will occur with no control.

The kangaroo stamps I saw even had inprint of Ash manufacturers on them surely that's illegal. But I will report them to ebay to discover why they are allowed if their policy forbids it.

regards Carl

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay does not care. I reported dozens of times, then just gave up.

People are buying junk. I collect Russia, it's a hot stamp market, and forgeries galore.

Sellers, if messaged, keep the stamps and still sell, no ethics whatsoever.

For example, 95% of Batum stamps on ebay are pure forgeries, but who cares, right?

Two thirds of Russian occupation of Crete issues

Early RSFSR semi-postals

Transcaucasian overprints

USSR consular airmail

Far East civil war overprints

Levant #1 and overprints

Kuban/Southern Russia overprints

Northwest army

modern "proofs"

chemically altered "error in color"

and the list goes on and on.

Looked at German zeppelins - oh my God, reprints galore. Sold as real.

The most profitable seem to be forgeries in under $100 range - who cares, right?...

It's not a $1000 stamp, does not cause much of a stir. Just way too many collectors will be surprised later (if they ever bother to check their collection) by just how many fakes they have accumulated.

It is what it is. I can only wish that ebay reacts to alerts about forged stamps and halts the sale until the issue on reported stamp is resolved. Sadly, they do not lift a finger, so the practice continues.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I should add that if a description clearly states "reprint", then there is no issue, in my opinion.

There is no misleading of buyers in these cases.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

The same applies to coins. I've got no problem with reproduction coins as long as they are sold as copies. But this left to me by my grand father BS.  Saw a 37 florin being sold (mint didn't issue one) reported it to ebay and no actino was taken. Reported a 1916 mule as fake only few known to exist nun in uncirculated grade(sold for $5000). No action taken...  To me this is criminal.

Michael

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Had no idea fakes of coins and notes was so widespread???  How about 'bullion' like 'silver' bars????

Just how do you see real genuine items from trash?  Moreover, WHERE would you sell a stamp - but through a recognised broker?

Buyer beware - you just don't know.....

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Explain to me how silver bars are fake??

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@warningtriangle wrote:

Had no idea fakes of coins and notes was so widespread???  How about 'bullion' like 'silver' bars????

Just how do you see real genuine items from trash?  Moreover, WHERE would you sell a stamp - but through a recognised broker?

Buyer beware - you just don't know.....

a valuable stamp, especially a real rarity, should be sold thru a reputable Philatelic Auction House, and if necessary, after obtaining a certificate of authenticity for it.

however most of the 'replicas' ''copies'' etc sold on ebay are in the $1-$200 range where  professional auction houses, and certificates are not worth the costs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Silver plating over base mettle. There was a big stir a little while back concerning gold plated tungst bars found in some bulion reserve  (tungsten weighs the same as gold) seems the big kids can get done too.

Michael

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply