What have you found ?

I went to a garage sale this morning and turned up some really nice old items. The pick was a large 1906 Theatre poster for " the Midnight Wedding" by " Mynell & Gunns Famous Dramatic Company." This one only cost $2.00 and I collect a few old posters, so this ones a keeper.

Ebayers turn up some amazing items at times. This thread could be a place to share your latest find.

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

What have you found ?

Wow, I guess your neuro has considered plates, screws etc. ?

image host
Message 41 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Hi Kopes; Yes & No - Surgery is not an option due to the wafer thin C1 & C2 vertebrae. I was born with the problem (not born in a hospital so not checked) Then I broke my neck riding my horse many years ago. 

Message 42 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Found this in a little secondhand store.

Not valuable but interesting and I'm a bit of a sailor. Smiley Very Happy

20170309_182149.jpg

A box frame with everything minature mounted in there. Not a pic.

image host
Message 43 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

I think they're called "knot boards" - I have seen similar for sale at tourist shops around upper-class marinas. An attractive way of displaying an interest in things nautical.

I remember there was a trend for "memory frames" about 15 years ago - I know people still produce them as memories of weddings or a birth - but these were a "generational" thing so people mounted and framed things that might have belonged to their grandmother - like buttons, bits of lace, old photos, small silver things like button hooks or thimbles. Charms, small jewellery, tiny dolls - that sort of thing. If they came on the secondary market people would buy them and take them apart and sell off the stuff individually.

I bought a collection of military badges last year - no-one wanted them because they were mounted, framed and glazed. I didn't know anything about them (they were from NZ) but they seemed like a bargain. I had quite a struggle to get them off the board - they were wired on - but I sold them off in batches and did quite well.

Message 44 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

I've seen similar items Kopes & Siddie. Sad to see them just dumped in Op Shops. Always dusty & looking unloved. At least there are people like us who see the potential & give them a new home, or find new homes for them. Kopes one is a particularly nice example!

Message 45 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Had forgotten about this thread, glad you reminded me redders.

Found this ceramic lamp base. Just a mass made one no doubt but colours are nice.

20170615_113520.jpg

image host
Message 46 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Hi Kopes I only found it again as someone gave me a new kudos for the neck issues you & I had discussed earlier. I like your lamp base; A bit of a South American / Mexican vibe going on there! Very 80's colours?

I find it appealing in shape; & have a nice cream shade that would probably fit!  (I'm assuming the main colour is cream? I'm going by the fact that we seem to own the same white tablecloth for pics! LOL! My selling pics are always on that cloth; or either the walnut or black piano -  with clothing being on my dummy ladies.

Message 47 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Ha ha, I too have a very similar damask table cloth. When I am taking photos here at home, I use as a backdrop a sample piece of dark blue material that came in a box lot when I first started on eBay. Or for big items, I use the floor - I think our carpet is rather smart. Smiley Very Happy

When I am at the weekender I photograph against the wipe-clean tablecloth - it is very handy for postcards as it has lots of squares and lines, which means you can line things up in the same place, and don't have to move the camera / tripod.

When I am feeling fancy, for ceramics and glass (especially) I use one of those collapsible light cube soft box  thingies -  it was essential when we were advertising things on the Antique Centre web site, but these days on eBay I doubt the quality of your photos matters at all. Most people just seem to snap something off on their smart phones. I like to use a tripod because I wear glasses and my hands are not very steady - so at least I have a chance of the image being in focus.

Message 48 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

I received a 1972 5c piece in my change at Hungry Jack's a couple of days ago.
Message 49 of 51
Latest reply

What have you found ?

Well done for spotting it. Spoiler - I had no idea, just Googled it. Smiley Very Happy

Message 50 of 51
Latest reply