Why do some sellers insist on using the the Global Shipping program to sell low value stamps

I have noticed quite a few US sellers are trying to sell low value stamps or acumulatiions and have the Global Shipping program as their delivery potion .

Who in their right mind is going to pay $20/30 postage for  $5-00worth of  stamps .One seller told me he had to cover his self incase the shippment "got lost" I told him he has no fear of that happening as no body   is going to buy them .

Is this just lazyness on the part of sellers?who can't be bothered to set up their postage costs and just go with the flow ???

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why do some sellers insist on using the the Global Shipping program to sell low value stamps

Many US sellers have been opted into the GSP automatically and are not aware it is showing for International buyers.

Others are not particularly interested in selling OS and often offer free postage within certain states in America.

You can ask if a seller is prepared to send via USPS but again, many will prefer to have cover and USPS priority is not cheap.

With over 320 million people, I guess the USA market is big enough for most eBay sellers.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: Why do some sellers insist on using the the Global Shipping program to sell low value stamps

I think Ebay's lack of options in not advising sellers they were automatically placed in the global shipping program shows a complete disregard for sellers wishes and is just another money grabbing attempt by Ebay to extract as much profit as it can from both buyers and sellers IMHO

Brian

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@deadbbaron wrote:

I think Ebay's lack of options in not advising sellers they were automatically placed in the global shipping program shows a complete disregard for sellers wishes and is just another money grabbing attempt by Ebay to extract as much profit as it can from both buyers and sellers IMHO

Brian

It's not eBay, it's Pitney Bowes. An entirely separate company.

I don't sell overseas, but I would if we had the GSP. I would still only have to post to a depot in Australia, so issues with buyers would be no more complex or expensive than they are now. Maybe there are US (and UK) sellers with the same attitude, so the GSP allows people to buy things they otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I've read the US boards on occasions to get their perspective on the GSP and there are some sellers who eventually decide to 'dip their toe' into international selling by using the GSP.....because they will be well covered if anything goes wrong, because it seems the rest of the world's buyers are mostly scammers. Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If sellers are using the GSP for shipping stamps then it is obvious they have been opted into it by ebay and have very little knowledge of how the system works.

The GSP is actually a parcel delivery service and the charges are set up with parcels in mind.....not items that fit into a small envelope.

The GSP is very cost effective for larger and heavy parcels.

Pitney Bowes has a basic cost to cover the paperwork for international delivery which is the same for large or small parcels. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I sell Internationally; anything with a value of more than around $20 I stipulate International Standard (comes with tracking), which costs upwards of $22 depending on destination, and yes I do add on top eBay’s 10% FVF on International postage. And so the cost of the postage often can exceed the value of the item. But buyers know that when they bid / buy. The reason is that International buyers, especially inexperienced USA buyers, simply will not believe how long untracked mail takes from Australia, especially letter rate. Although I have a message on my listing description which specifically deals with this.

Untracked scenario: It’s been 2 weeks, where is my item?

Please be patient, untracked mail can take 20 working days or more.

Nope, opens case on eBay, with no tracking I have no option but to refund.

One week later – thanks, it’s arrived.

Umm I refunded you and you now have your item, I will send you a PayPal request so you can repay me.

Sadly, PayPal request ignored.

Scenario with tracking: It’s been 2 weeks, where is my item?

You can see from the tracking that it is in your country/ at your distribution centre/ they have attempted delivery once already.

Most people are reasonable and when they can see tracking are happy to wait for arrival. Once or twice they have opened a case; though the tracking number I enter is not enough to satisfy a case (requiring proof of delivery) the case has never been escalated.

Yes people do ask if I can supply a cheaper postage method (the same as Oz buyers ask for pickup); when I explain they either accept it and buy, or go elsewhere. It is up to each seller what postage methods they stipulate, and up to each buyer whether they choose to accept it and buy. Or not.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

A lot do not even know they are using it. As they do not get that money.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply