Why does selling price change when selecting quantity

Item No 334523642245 is an example.

Listed at $16.45.  When I select 1 unit, the price jumps to  $40.49 and higher for subsequent units. 

There are others similar.  What am I not understanding about the price  hike?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does selling price change when selecting quantity

Why, multi listings are OK and do not breach ebay policy.

$16.45  gets you a remote control

$40 odd, gets you a smoke detector,  and so on.

Read the listing it is pretty self explanatory.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If you’ve never encountered the ubiquitous “listings with variations”, it is a little surprising; they are plentiful on eBay.

Strictly speaking, the way in which they are used by many sellers (in particular Chinese eBay sellers) is not the way in which they are intended to be used as per eBay policy. It’s supposed to be for listing an item where there are various options such as colour, size, etc. It was not intended as a way for sellers to throw vaguely connected items (including one very cheap one as a “lure”) into a single listing.

Of course, you can try to report them. You’ll be knocking yourself out to no good purpose, though, as eBay Australia haven’t the authority to crack the whip over Chinese eBay sellers, and eBay.cn certainly won’t take down such listings or sanction these sellers, not even with a whimsical declaration that they’re not the Messiah, they’re a very naughty boy. I’m not asserting that anything which any Chinese eBay seller does is regarded with impunity – but it’s not far off that situation.

I suggest that you avoid listings where there’s an unrealistically low price for an item, and definitely avoid listings where there is a price variation. 

For your consideration 

And… yes, as has been said, you cannot trust that you’ll get a genuinely compliant smoke detector that is truly of the required Australian Standard from someone who’s either in China sending the cheapest garbage made of the cheapest and utterly insufficient components, or is in Australia dropshipping or importing those same garbage items. Penalties apply to having noncompliant smoke alarms, quite apart from the risks involved in installing cheap dangerous electrical items.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The listing which says before you even open it the price is actually $16.45 to $334.99 ?

Variation listings where what the buyer wants is selected from the drop down menu

Allowed by eBay

Personally I would under no circumstances be buying something like a smoke detector from some random on eBay

Regardless of what 'photos' they copy and pasted claim

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Does one report this kind of thing to Ebay?  They clearly aren't selling anything for $16.45.   

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Why, multi listings are OK and do not breach ebay policy.

$16.45  gets you a remote control

$40 odd, gets you a smoke detector,  and so on.

Read the listing it is pretty self explanatory.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Member for 22 Years, with a vast amount of experience. You've never encountered a multi listing?

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

If you say so!!

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.  Perhaps you don't understand the question.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I understand your question. You don't seem to understand MY question.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

If you’ve never encountered the ubiquitous “listings with variations”, it is a little surprising; they are plentiful on eBay.

Strictly speaking, the way in which they are used by many sellers (in particular Chinese eBay sellers) is not the way in which they are intended to be used as per eBay policy. It’s supposed to be for listing an item where there are various options such as colour, size, etc. It was not intended as a way for sellers to throw vaguely connected items (including one very cheap one as a “lure”) into a single listing.

Of course, you can try to report them. You’ll be knocking yourself out to no good purpose, though, as eBay Australia haven’t the authority to crack the whip over Chinese eBay sellers, and eBay.cn certainly won’t take down such listings or sanction these sellers, not even with a whimsical declaration that they’re not the Messiah, they’re a very naughty boy. I’m not asserting that anything which any Chinese eBay seller does is regarded with impunity – but it’s not far off that situation.

I suggest that you avoid listings where there’s an unrealistically low price for an item, and definitely avoid listings where there is a price variation. 

For your consideration 

And… yes, as has been said, you cannot trust that you’ll get a genuinely compliant smoke detector that is truly of the required Australian Standard from someone who’s either in China sending the cheapest garbage made of the cheapest and utterly insufficient components, or is in Australia dropshipping or importing those same garbage items. Penalties apply to having noncompliant smoke alarms, quite apart from the risks involved in installing cheap dangerous electrical items.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you for your helpful and considered reply.  This is the kind of answer I was hoping for since the initial listed price does not match the cost of even one single item which is in the advertised heading.   A topic worth discussing I thought.  I will put it to rest now.  

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply