Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

I volunteer at a regional gallery and get to meet some wonderful, weird and wacky people.

But the ones that get up my goat are the ones who say "That looks like something a 5 year old would do." and expect me to agree with them.

And whilst we have a lot of community exhibitions that are amateurish enough (so perhaps the comment may be fair enough), the comment is usually reserved for iconic artists in major travelling exhibitions who are extremely well known.

Does anyone here like abstract art? And if you really hate it, why?

Message 1 of 368
Latest reply
367 REPLIES 367

Re: Abstract Art - why talk about it if you don't get it.

He doesn't paint blank colours and call it art, does he?

Message 321 of 368
Latest reply

This thread has reminded me of a moment I experienced about 15 years ago. My sons kindy was learning about recycle, reduce & reuse, the teacher had asked for us to bring thing that had been reinvented/reworked in someway. I bought in this and sat it on the table with all the other things laid out. While looking at the other things one of the grandfathers sidled up to me pointed to my mask and commented 'that's not art, it's just rubbish'.

It took me aback at first as anyone who makes/paints/creates stuff knows there's a little bit of yourself in everything you make. But then I just laughed, told him I made it and it was just a bit of fun to do. I think he was a bit lost for words, but I also think he missed the whole premise behind the piece. It was whimsy, it was during a time I was making things out of wire, beads and found objects, it was made in response to a request from a friend for a small exhibition and was to complement other items. It was fun to make, it has made people smile and to this day I'm still quite fond of it.

I'm sure many of you will think that it's just rubbish as well and that's fine, afterall I like Duchamp's bicycle wheel, I like the composition, simplicity and tactile response to it.  And you know what, over one hundred years after creating that piece, here we are still discussing it. I can only dream that something I create or paint will still be getting discussed/debated over in that time!

11142730_346389565558845_1545991891_n.jpg

Message 322 of 368
Latest reply

@cosmosgrove wrote:

This thread has reminded me of a moment I experienced about 15 years ago. My sons kindy was learning about recycle, reduce & reuse, the teacher had asked for us to bring thing that had been reinvented/reworked in someway. I bought in this and sat it on the table with all the other things laid out. While looking at the other things one of the grandfathers sidled up to me pointed to my mask and commented 'that's not art, it's just rubbish'.

It took me aback at first as anyone who makes/paints/creates stuff knows there's a little bit of yourself in everything you make. But then I just laughed, told him I made it and it was just a bit of fun to do. I think he was a bit lost for words, but I also think he missed the whole premise behind the piece. It was whimsy, it was during a time I was making things out of wire, beads and found objects, it was made in response to a request from a friend for a small exhibition and was to complement other items. It was fun to make, it has made people smile and to this day I'm still quite fond of it.

I'm sure many of you will think that it's just rubbish as well and that's fine, afterall I like Duchamp's bicycle wheel, I like the composition, simplicity and tactile response to it.  And you know what, over one hundred years after creating that piece, here we are still discussing it. I can only dream that something I create or paint will still be getting discussed/debated over in that time!

I'll start the bidding at $5 million.

Message 323 of 368
Latest reply

@cosmosgrove wrote:

I create. I make. I don't paint a canvass in one colour and call it art. Id be too embarrased to. Hence my post about Kardashians.

Kudos to the artists. Way to get famous doing notihing of importance, or revelance.

Message 324 of 368
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

I create. I make. I don't paint a canvass in one colour and call it art. Id be too embarrased to. Hence my post about Kardashians.

Kudos to the artists. Way to get famous doing notihing of importance, or revelance.

So you believe your paintings hold more importance or relevance than others because you don't like them?  

Message 325 of 368
Latest reply

I've actually still got a bonnet off a VR Commodore - the one I practiced spray painting on - I think I'll call it ..........

"Life in The Suburbs"

any bids for that?

Message 326 of 368
Latest reply

@cosmosgrove wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

So you believe your paintings hold more importance or relevance than others because you don't like them?  

I never said I paint. And apparently some promote themselves as artists. when all they're doing is trying to be the next 
"trend" I can paint a canvass in one or two colours. are we then artists?

Message 327 of 368
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

@cosmosgrove wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

I never said I paint. And apparently some promote themselves as artists. when all they're doing is trying to be the next 

I believe anyone can paint or create, just the same as anyone can sing or play an instrument. But for some it will come naturally or is just about the enjoyment of 'making' and others will hate it and struggle. For someone to be successful at these things they usually need a certain amount of drive, persistence, determination and talent to succeed. It's not an easy thing to be a successful artist or musician or to make the move from 'amateur to professional'.

If someone wants to call themselves an artist, I think more power to them, if you gain enjoyment from painting a canvas in two colours well go for it. Where or what is the boundary that defines who can and can't be called an 'artist'? 

Message 328 of 368
Latest reply

@cosmosgrove wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

@cosmosgrove wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

I believe anyone can paint or create, just the same as anyone can sing or play an instrument. But for some it will come naturally or is just about the enjoyment of 'making' and others will hate it and struggle. For someone to be successful at these things they usually need a certain amount of drive, persistence, determination and talent to succeed. It's not an easy thing to be a successful artist or musician or to make the move from 'amateur to professional'.

If someone wants to call themselves an artist, I think more power to them, if you gain enjoyment from painting a canvas in two colours well go for it. Where or what is the boundary that defines who can and can't be called an 'artist'? 

painting canvasses in one colour does not make an artist. Music requires some talent. Unless you're deaf. I am reading the bigger picture here, can't see it but the "experts" must be right. Newsflash for you, the experts are chasing fame

Message 329 of 368
Latest reply

The experts are just that, X Spurts X being the unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

May I ask just what artistry or talent the blue abomination took to create.

All it would have taken is a paint roller a straight egde and 10 minutes. no talent required.

It is a con job and the suckers fall for it hook line and sinker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 330 of 368
Latest reply