Another 'we are the victims' story from the LGBT

vicr3000
Community Member

Another 'we are the victims' story from the LGBT

The gay pay gap: men earn less, but women earn more

A new dimension of workplace discrimination has been exposed: the gay pay gap.

Australia's first study of how sexual orientation affects wages has revealed gay men get paid up to
18 per cent less than their straight counterparts.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/the-gay-pay-gap-men-earn-less-but-women-earn-more-2015022...
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Another 'we are the victims' story from the LGBT

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Careful, vic.   With a thread title like that, your homophobia is showing

Where do you get the  'we are the victims'  and include LGBT

If the facts are right, it's only gay men who are disadvantaged.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I used LGBT because I was 'told' that you can't use the word 'gay', not that I GA u know what.

I took it as gay men are worst off. Then gay women, then women, men top of the pay scales.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

vicr3000 wrote:
I used LGBT because I was 'told' that you can't use the word 'gay', not that I GA u know what.

I took it as gay men are worst off. Then gay women, then women, men top of the pay scales.

I took it.. how about reading it properly?  Whats with the we are victims? Your opinion only?

...gay men get paid up to 18 per cent less than their straight counterparts. 

However, Ms La Nauze found the negative pay gap experienced by gay men relative to heterosexual men does not apply to gay women. Instead gay women enjoy a wage premium of up to 13 per cent compared with heterosexual women.

This does not match up with your assessment.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@vicr3000 wrote:

Firstly, you were 'told' incorrectly. A gay man is a gay man, a lesbian woman is a lesbian woman, a bisexual person is a bisexual person and a transgeneder person is a transgender person.

You would only call any of them LGBT when you are talking about ALL of them in one category. Which would be rare.

Secondly, the article has not a trace of the "we are victims" about it and it is amazingly telling that you read that into it. It's not even presented from a gay perspective and not a single gay person was interviewed. It is an article about an academic study. 

Thirdly, the issue has come up because the female pay discrepancy has widened markedly in the last 2 years and particularly in the last 12months. So the article is 'on topic'. No one is whinging. They are simply pointing out the facts so that they can be included as part of the alarming statistics relating to women at the moment.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply