Any accuracy in this? warning political

20 REPLIES 20

It's a Daily Mail article. When I posted something from that publication it's facts were doubted, purely due to the Daily Mail appearance. I expect they check their facts as well as the next paper does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

It was probably accurate in July, 2014  the date of that publication.

However, he's probably more popular than Julia Gillard now.

DEB

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

How are we supposed to make a comparison? Julia Gillard is no longer  PM, no longer in parliament and no longer in the public eye. So is the argument that Abbott is more or less popular at the moment than Gillard was when she deposed Rudd? When she was re-elected? When Rudd deposed her? When she lost the 2013 election? Or at some indeterminate timesomewhere  in between all these occasions?

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Julia Gillard put herself back in the public eye this week with a retraction.  So she is being talked about, anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Julia Gillard put herself back in the public eye this week with a retraction.  So she is being talked about, anyway.

Which is only relevant if you want to make a  comparison between  Gillard's popularity this week and  Abbott's popularity now, last month, last year or whenever?

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Personally, I don't. But she is making herself the subject of informal popularity "polls" with her current political-based retraction. So she is being compared to her contemporaries.

Which naturally gives rise to talk of history and what people liked or disliked along the way when she was more prominent.

I am not sure what Donna means, just noticed the enquiry as to accuracy (and the date of the article).

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I certainly haven't seen any 'informal polls.' but supposing there were some, on what criteria are they based? She doesn't hold any public office, she doesn't have a high profile job which brings her into contact with the general public, she is not a media personality - what is there for her to be popular or unpopular about?

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Oh the point was that she was so unpopular apparently. But is/ was she any more unpopular than Abbott?

I think not, there was a strong campaign of support for her even when the polls were bad. The polls aren't too good for Abbott, but you don't hear anyone coming out and saying how great he is? a heck of a lot of people thought she was great!

Photobucket
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

The point of informal polls, is that they are those taken amongst people who are just chatting. Groups of friends etc. 

as in was she any good? Was she honest? Would she be welcomed back? Or not? What was her legacy? The sort of questions that come up in everyday conversation regarding the retraction.

Just because someone leaves office doesn't mean they leave the public consciousness. Particularly if they keep forcing themselves into it.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply