Anyone been to Amsterdam

We will be stopping in Amsterdam for 4 days , we have never been there so have no idea which area we should stop at. Also hotels . Any suggestions
new tag
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Anyone been to Amsterdam

Not the red light district!!

Rotterdam would  be a good place to visit if you are venturing out of Amsterdam, I think it is about an hour away.

What time of the year are you going? its tulip season there about now I think, that would be nice to see.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

We will be there late August for four nights
new tag
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

I can't help you with hotels, but for things to see and do: the Anne Frank House is a must, as is a canal trip and, if you have the time, do a trip out to Zaanse Schans Windmill Village. http://www.amsterdam.info/excursions/zaanse-schans/ Apparently  the 391  bus leaving evry 20 minutes or so from outside the railway station will take you there - or you can do an organized tour.

Vondelpark is very lovely too. I went there many years ago with my sister and we had coffee and poffertjes in the little pavillion there .http://www.amsterdam.info/parks/vondelpark/

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

For starters you could check out accommodation/hotels in your price range on Trip Advisor.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

@am*3 wrote:

Not the red light district!!

Rotterdam would  be a good place to visit if you are venturing out of Amsterdam, I think it is about an hour away.

What time of the year are you going? its tulip season there about now I think, that would be nice to see.

Ofcourse you have to do the red ligh district. It's part of the cultural attraction. Oh, and you should get stoned as well. 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

Oh, Ann Frank House is standard to do list.  

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

I have been looking on Tripadvisor . It looks like the central station area is the best place to be. We want something central with plenty of pubs , clubs and restaurants . Prices are looking higher than we are used to paying. I have been looking at apartments also . And yes Ann Franks house will be on the list. Thinking of booking that online as it looks like it is popular .
new tag
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

We are going to be there too, but in early September.

I think we are only there for 1 night though, then heading for Bruges.....

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Anyone been to Amsterdam

our flight route was changed so we not fly via Amstedam. so hubby thought we may as well have a look. I know nothing about the place and really finding it hard to find ut.

I have been on tripadvisor and had a look I even asked for advise. but all I got was to look at the liist on the side and it would help. I lie to talk to people and get an idea. I like to be in areas that has things happening. lots of bars with entertainment . During the day we like to walk around shops and markets . not too into sightt seeing . more into people watching .

new tag
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply