Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

Kaya to view the sources you have to become a member even for free weekends, you have to give a credit card number which does put a lot of people off. You can be a member of Ancestry without being a paid up  but you won't be able to see the sources unless they have free weekends which they do quite often btw..

Message 4041 of 4,080
Latest reply

Because I have a cold and can not be borthered doing anything else I have been playing with your tree.

Thomas Lumb married Susey Howarth......31-12-1833 Yorkshire...(this explains Ellen's choice in name for her son)

tsm.PNG

Message 4042 of 4,080
Latest reply

The most likely birth for Susan Howarth is....... John and Sarah Howarth...........10-2-1811 Heptonstal Yorkshire

The most likely birth for Thomas Lumb is.....Eli and Betty Lumb.....30-9-1810 Sowerby Ner Halifax Yorkshire.

I chose these two births because for Susan it was the only one...........and for Thomas as he consistntly says in every census that he is of Sowerby and this is the only birth.

I have concerns though......................and none of these names show for their children.

So I can not say with 100% accuracy that these are the correct parents..............jsut the most likely.

Message 4043 of 4,080
Latest reply

Both Thomas and Susan Lumb die in 1884.............

1884.PNG

susan.PNG

Message 4044 of 4,080
Latest reply

And finally these are the children of Thomas Lumb and Susan Howarth.......all born near Sowerby Yorkshire

Mary 1834......died Jan 1842

Mathew 1835....married 1859 Barbara Sugden............Dies 1899

Ellen 1838..............married James Rostron

Sarah 1840.......there are 3 Sarah Lumb born in Sowerby  the same year....makes it too hard to seprate them.

Elizabeth 1843.............too many to trace after 1851 census

William 1845............to many to trace after 1851 census

James 1847............too many to trace after 1851 census.

Mary ....1850.......................marries 1869 to Frank Murgatroyd

Lydia.....1853....Married 1871 John William Armitage.

Grace Ann.......1856.....married 1876 Sam Dargue

Message 4045 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hey flashie, when you get sick of the Lumbs would you like to research my Brady"s and Clancy"s in Tassie for me. With all the BDM's and wills now online I've been having a ball, but still struggling a bit. I'm trying to figure out the family of Mary Brady who married Patrick Clancy in 1861 in Campbell Town. There wasnt loads of Brady's in the area at the time so it makes sense that she was related to some that were there. The families seemed to live around Campbelltown, Fingal and Mangana.

I just cant place which ones. Have picked up a few hints from witnesses of marriages and beneficiaries in wills. I thought for a while she was the sister of a James Brady (married Catherine Garry), but he turned out to be born in 1818 so is too old. I guess he could even be her dad, one of the Clancy's left  some money in his will to one of James grandchildren.

The families seemed to live around Campbelltown, Fingal and Mangana.

This is the link to the BDM's in case you havent seen it  http://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

My tree is private I think but I can link you into it if you want to see what I already have.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4046 of 4,080
Latest reply

Punch.............in the past you have sent me an invite to your tree............it is showing up on my ancestry list of trees.

I will have a look for you tonight.

Some fo my natural family come from that area

Message 4047 of 4,080
Latest reply

Its not the Smith one, I'll have look, should be able to see if you're invited or not.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4048 of 4,080
Latest reply

Yep, just checked you are on there.

Yesterday I had James and Catherine and all their kids linked but I took them away. Still feel like there must be a connection. The Garry name makes me wonder too, Patrick's mum was Geraghty, and there was a Bernard McGarry that had my John Fitzpatrick as his executor. I kinda feel like I'm chasing my own tail and reading too much into things, need some fresh eyes.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4049 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am going to have to familiarise myself with this lot...........there is no obvious birth for Mary.

Do you have pictures of Mary and Patrick's headstones.............I have found them at least.

Message 4050 of 4,080
Latest reply