Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their Ancestors?

Smiley Very Happy   Congratulations !

They have a new thing going in Ancestry now where people can leave messages regarding pictures or history and you are notified by email so you can go and respond.

It's great as it puts you in immediate contact with other people related to the same families... just thought I'd mention it here.

Message 3991 of 4,080
Latest reply

It doesnt come up as often as it used to, but we still bump it back up occasionally. Not many people asking for searches any more. Think we've done everyone here.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3992 of 4,080
Latest reply

HI punchy Smiley Happy

Yes it is one of those things that appeal to some people, but a lot of people get stumped at the start and it is so hard to keep any interest when that happens.

Nevertheless, like all things ancestral, there is always the chance that something more will suddenly appear.

I have just met up with someone in New Yord who shares a family with me.  He has information I didn't have, so it's been great filling in the blanks..

Patience is the catch word I think.

Message 3993 of 4,080
Latest reply

Did you know in about 1811 ....about 1/4 of Britians women were calledMary.

Here is a very early 1900's Santa picture.

earlysanta.jpg

Message 3994 of 4,080
Latest reply

What an interesting photo flashie... love the Santa hat and the spotted coat.

Here's one for us all as Christmas draws closer... sent my a genealogist friend of mine...

To Be Sung to the Tune of  
GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN

Good Wishes, family history buffs,
 Wherever you may be,
 It's time to close that pc down
 And raise a glass with me;
 We've done our best the whole year through
 Our ancestors to find:
 So lets drink to that ever-growing tree,
 (This round's on me!)
 Let's drink to that ever-growing tree.

We know it's not an easy task
 To trace Great-uncle Jim,
 Who went to Burma, married thrice,
 And lived a life of sin;
 He ran off with the parson's daughter -
 She was number three -
 So let's drink to that ever-growing tree
 (This round's on me!)

Alo-ysius Finkelbaum
 Is not a common name,
 You'd think he'd crop up somewhere
 But he's hiding just the same;
 Tried IGI, the Census, FRC and BMD -
 Hell, let's drink to that ever-growing tree,
 (Thish roundsh on me!)

Tom Gadsden was a mariner - in 1691
 He hopped the twig in Nevis
 After too long in the sun,
 But how to find his resting-place
 Will be the death of ME!
 Let's drink to that ever-growing tree,
 (Da de da dee)

Though brick walls may confound us
 And our eyes are growing dim,
 We'll never stop our searching
 For that one elusive limb -
 We're addicts and we're proud of it
 As anyone can see,
 So let's drink to that ever-growing tree -
 (Hic - no more for me!)

Many thanks to author John Cairns (whoever and wherever he may be)

Message 3995 of 4,080
Latest reply

That is funny Darkie.

I am playing with my tree at the moment.

I have two family members who marry people with the same surname (one generation apart)...........so I am trying to see if there is a connection..........as it was a small country town.

No luck so far................and it is pre-civil registration.

Message 3996 of 4,080
Latest reply

Now  that could prove interesting flashie... and confusing Smiley Very Happy

So it's not your christmas tree you are playing with but your family tree?   Smiley Very Happy

I have got to a stage where I have found all I can and am now waiting to a wall to fall down.. still the same old Henry Gibson b.1783.  Of course no Census records for the 1700s out yet I don't think.  Do you know?

The other side of the family are a bit overwhelming with about 7,000 in it, and that doesn't include people like siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles...

D'you know what intrigues me is that in each case for just one night each couple came together and made someone who would ultimely come down to me.

I find that a bit of a mind bender...  It is easier to think that 'they married and had children', but one of those children was destined to be an ancestor of mine.  

Message 3997 of 4,080
Latest reply

I broke down two huge brick walls in my tree this year Darkie.

One I am still proud of myself for doing it..........because it was a tricky one with an outcome you could not have guessed in a million years.

And the other one just tied up some ends.....................there were no children of the marriage.

I am wondering if I should get Ancestry for 2014.................I am at a bit of a standstill with my tree............only twigs left to trace..............the other brickwalls will never get done.............they are either from Ireland.............or it is because they were illegitimate.

We don't seem to be doing many searches on here for anyone any more.

I willlhave to have a little think about it.

Message 3998 of 4,080
Latest reply

That would have been so exciting flashie... and so satisfying... I envy you Smiley Happy

I have a lot of ancestors from Ireland, they moved over from Scotland during the upheavals between Scotland and England.  You might try Northern Ireland and Scotland.  It's a long chance, but you might find something.  Even search Scotland for those people, there may be a break through there.

Difficult if they are illegitimate, but sometimes they turn up in families as natural born to the family.  I keep an close eye on my lot always bearing in mind that women can pass a baby off as their husband's when sometimes there is a chance it isn't... wicket women indeed Smiley Very Happy

It's my father's family that is so difficult, but one day it will happen I'm sure..

I have found Ancestry to be a great help with so many of my ancestors, it could be worth a try, especially as there is a huge amount history from Ireland and you might be lucky.

Little thinks are good Smiley Happy

Message 3999 of 4,080
Latest reply

Interesting website, dont think I've seen this one before.

http://ausbdm.ucoz.org/

People send in copies of all the BDM records they have and he lists them all for searching.

There is also this facebook page that I have joined, https://www.facebook.com/groups/141114082690049/  Australian Family History and Genealogy

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4000 of 4,080
Latest reply