Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hubby and I did ours, well, are doing it, I don't think you ever finish, LOL It can be such fun, especially when you hit a brick wall, and a total stranger helps you out, you can make some ripper new friends too. Hubby now emails a chap in England we thought was a cousin, turns out he wasn't, but what a great friend we found.

The most annoying bit for us was family hiding illegitimate births, re naming a new baby after one that had died, and funeral records that mispell names, that one can be so frustrating.
Message 2 of 4,080
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, forgot to say, find some Forums overseas, post the information you are after and you may get results. Don't forget to post in America, the Mormons there hava a huge data base.....shades of 1984.
Message 3 of 4,080
Latest reply

dorroughby
Community Member
I've researched both sides of my ancestry on the internet.
I have filled in nearly all the names back to the point where they entered Australia - convicts and gold seekers on my mother's side and Cornish miners on my father's side.
One day I might find a way to research the English roots past 1788.

I have also researched my children's ancestry on their mother's side, which is quite different and includes free settlers from German & Chinese roots, and an Aboriginal ancestor from the stolen generations.

Great fun.
I have even found the original court documents for a couple of convict ancestors transported to Australia. One was for stealing 2 silver candlesticks and another was a customs officer who stole a roll of cloth from a ship he was meant to be inspecting.
It was much easier to become an Aussie in those days.:-)
Quote of the day: "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." Noam Chomsky
Message 4 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am hugely into family history.

And I have got quite good at it.....I have done other peoples trees too......sometimes paying customers.....some times just because I like the challenge.

I have got quite a few good sites bookmarked.

But most of my research has been in the UK and Australia.

All convicts on my side of the family.......and not one in site on hubbys family.

I ahve had to fight for every little bit of information on my side.......and hubby's is a published book...............it isn't fair.
Message 5 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hello,
I'm a learner ,without a map and I tend to take the wrong leads and get lost often...lol

I wish they had written more carefully and spelt surnames correctly.It would make things much easier.
Message 6 of 4,080
Latest reply

Do people think Ancestry is the best site?
Message 7 of 4,080
Latest reply

Iza...the best site if you are starting off is family search....it is a free site.

The first thing would be to get your parents wedding certificate....it should have the names of your grandparents on it.....and work your way back from there.
Message 8 of 4,080
Latest reply

My Dad's sister found out that she wasn't his cousin but instead his sister via researching the family tree. She was able to go back to the 1600's but passed away before she got further.

I have a copy of where she got upto. We go back to the first fleets. On my ex's side his family goes back to a Great Great Great Grandfather who was transported for plotting high treason...he was to be hanged but got a last minute reprieve and landed here instead.
โ™ฅTrishโ™ฅ
Message 9 of 4,080
Latest reply

Ancestry is good.....but ther are other alternatives.....Findmy past is one.

Ancestry offers world access......but it can be expensive.....I have the Australian UK heritage pack for jsut over $200.....for a years membership.........and because I do so much reserch it is wll worth it for me.
Message 10 of 4,080
Latest reply