Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

My Aunty did most of her research via the old fashioned way...she died about 12 years ago. She searched BD&M's, Electoral Rolls, Graveyards and word of mouth.

A friend of mine is researching her tree at the moment and has found the Graveyard Registries very helpful. They are also good as many families tended to be buried closeby and had descendents listed.
โ™ฅTrishโ™ฅ
Message 11 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have only been able to go back to the mid 1700's......illegitmacy put a full stop to going any further.
Message 12 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have only been able to go back to the mid 1700's......illegitmacy put a full stop to going any further.

And many early deaths and children with children became and issue in our's apparently. The mother died and the eldest daughter took over her position in more ways than one.
โ™ฅTrishโ™ฅ
Message 13 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have found a Bastardy Bond (don's slap me ....it is the proper name of them) for my Great x3 grandmother naming the father ......but he seems to have disappeared........I am most disappointed....he should have left a paper trail.....didn;t he know 250 years later I would be looking for him.:^O
Message 14 of 4,080
Latest reply

Thanks Flashie
I'd never heard of free site .In some places I've gone back 4+ generations but hitting a few brick walls.
I think that there were some name changes (and or misspelling/poorly written)

ie;recently I have have had someone (a cousin of some kind by the look of it,in the UK) contact me to tell me that a relo I have with the surname of 'Rutt' should be 'Bull'..we think it may have been poorly written on the marriage certificate a distant relo of mine has.So following that up again now but as a currently 'free member' i am restricted.
So i'll try the free site
Message 15 of 4,080
Latest reply

I hope that the poor woman didn't have both surnames
Rutt and
Bull

LOL
Message 16 of 4,080
Latest reply

Iza...if you are happy to message me I will have a little look for you with any names you want me to have a look for.
Message 17 of 4,080
Latest reply

Iza...if you are happy to message me I will have a little look for you with any names you want me to have a look for.

Thankyou,That would be great Flashie,
I'll haven't got a print out so i'll go and check the details online a bit later and message them to you.I'm trying (but not doing very well though.LOL) to get the housework done ATM.
:-)
Message 18 of 4,080
Latest reply

Flashie,
i do have actually have that written down (as I should have it all written down).I Will message the details to you soon.
Thankyou
Message 19 of 4,080
Latest reply

I worked with a woman many years ago who was, on one side of her family descended from the First Fleeters and on the other side from Queen Victoria... she even had a strong resemblance to the Queen.

What you do have to watch if you find any royals or earls or wotnot is the American's desire to change dates and people so they can claim royalty.

They don't seem to understand that kings etc. were of small counties and hamlets not huge countries.

I came across the King of Dublin (not one of mine) Well, as you can imagine Dublin is a city and nowadays it probably has a mayor ... same dif :^O

They tend to have eople migrating to the USA as early as 800 AD or little girls of 5 having babies or women in their 80s having babys... wrong wives or husbands...

I have found it very tricky, but am helped by the amount of historical records that are available.

I have not been able to get into the Morman site, can anyone help me there?

Would love to crack my father's family as I think they originated in Scotland too and could easily have been related to my mother's family right back then.

The State Library in Sydney was a great help to me many years ago... and if you have convict relatives then you will find them in their archives

http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/using/search/

Oh, another thing I learned. Often and often the supposed 'crime' for sending someone out here was not really for the crime, but because they were young and strong and would be good breeding stock to build up the colony.

It makes more sense than the 'loaf of bread' stories.. Yes they might have stolen something, but the motive was, once in judicial hands, they could be sent out here to swell our numbers.

Message 20 of 4,080
Latest reply