Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

punch extremely interesting read, thankyou so much for posting that. I drove past there today on my way to Parkville cemetery and then on to Coburg cemetery. My husband's grandfather was an Italian market gardener having a fruit shop in Port Melbourne I am unsure whether before the shop he sold at the Victorian market. What could you possibly do if you realised you had ancestors under the Viccy market? You would never know exactly where they might be ๐Ÿ˜ž

Sadly no headstones were to be found for my people today however Parkville was lovely and the children had the best headstone ever being this tree.

Coburg cemetery was depressing, awful ....... awful, yuk ๐Ÿ˜ž

parkville.JPG

Message 3691 of 4,080
Latest reply

parkville 0261.JPG

Maybe my ancestors were bought to the cemetery in something like this?

Message 3692 of 4,080
Latest reply

Just searching ancestry tonight and I reaslise I missed a grave at Coburg Woman Frustrated

My husband will shoot me in the foot if I ask him to take me back there again

Yeah yeah I know I can take myself ..

Message 3693 of 4,080
Latest reply

They had Open House in Melbourne today. Put my name in the Ballot to look through the ballroom above Flinders St Station along with several other buildings. Wasnt lucky enough to be picked as one of the 10 for Flinders St, but we did get picked to look tour Newman College which was built in the early 1900's by Walter Burley griffin. Very interesting building.

Wish I'd had a better look at everything that was open though, they were doing tours of Melbourne General Cemetery all weekend too. Didnt know about that until I parked opposite and hubby wasnt keen on going through there, it was getting a bit late by the time we finished at the other place.

Oh well, will have to do it another time.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 3694 of 4,080
Latest reply

Yes punch the photo of the hearse is from the cemetery tour, I didn't do the tour though I wouldn't have minded

Message 3695 of 4,080
Latest reply

I just now received in the mail a death certificate I ordered for one of the children in the Parkville grave, cause of death Typhoid Fever

Message 3696 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hi

I wondered if you can help me please

I'm trying to get  more information on my Grandmother Elsie Rostron

I know she died in Manchester England in 1953

She was married to James Rostron and had four sons

Frank

Samuel 

Stanley

James

I have tried to search myself but don't seem to get very far

I work long hours at my job (six days a week) and am not a member of Ancestrycom etc

Although I do intend to become a member once I retire

I'll pop back in a few days

Thanks in andvance for any help

Message 3697 of 4,080
Latest reply

The name Rostron is familiar...................have I searched this family for you before?

I am happy to have a bit of a look tonight.

Message 3698 of 4,080
Latest reply

I remember that you had done work on this surname Flashie.This might help remind Kaya ?

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Spirit/Anyone-else-into-seeking-their-ancestors/m-p/42854/...

Message 3699 of 4,080
Latest reply

Kaya, I hope that you find what you are looking for.Trying to find ancestors can be frustrating at times .I read the input here and marvel at what some are able to find and the effort they put in on behalf of others .It's fantastic.That surname ,in particular caught my attention as it's one I hear mentioned by the older generations of my family .Not sure if 'the Rostron' family my speak of when they say "The Rostrons" are close family friends or if there is a family connection....however that Surname caight my attention .

Message 3700 of 4,080
Latest reply