Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Nice to see this thread bumped back up. I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 4031 of 4,080
Latest reply

Howarth was the illegitimate child of Ellen Lumb....born in Cleckheaton Whitechapel Yorkshire

I woul be guessing that he was living with is grandparents because his mother married.

I will look for that now.

lumb.PNG

Message 4032 of 4,080
Latest reply

This is confirmed on his mariage certificate to Elizabeth Hopper.

marriage.PNG

Message 4033 of 4,080
Latest reply

Ellen Lumb married John Redman.....11-11-1865 in Brighouse St Martin Yorkshire.

This is confirmed by her fathers name Thomas.

ellen.PNG

Message 4034 of 4,080
Latest reply

If there is anything else you want me to look up just ask.

Just a note....... Thomas and Susan Lumb are Howarth's grandparents.............not his parents.

Message 4035 of 4,080
Latest reply

John Redman and Ellen Lumb had the following children.......all born Halifax Yorkshire

Thomas 29-4-1867.......died 1868?.......( he does not show on any census)

Mary 10-2-1871...................married 1894 to John Kershaw in Yorkshire....Mathew and Grace Ann are witnesses.

Mathew..........1873............(he is listed as Martin on one census)

Grace Ann....... 1875

John 1878............(possible death 1881)

In 1911 Ellen says on the census she has had 7 children.......3 dead...........4 living.

I have only been able to find the above children...............(plus Howarth of course)

John Redman dies in 1884..........(this is the only death I could find as he is not on the 1891 census)

Message 4036 of 4,080
Latest reply

Most likely marriage for Grace Ann is 1916  Halifax Yorkshire to Joseph Armitage.................most likely death for her in 1949 in Halifax..............unable to trace children born to this couple.

Grace was still living at home in 1911 with her mother Ellen............and her illegitimate son Sylverster Redman......born 1893

Message 4037 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hi 

Thank you sooo much for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't know that  Howarth Lumb was illegitamate,  or that his mum was named Ellen

so its a step further in my family tree - thank you.

I was surprised to see the  copies of the certificates that you've put on here, it's wonderful that you are prepared to help

people like me.

I haven't joined any ancestry sites, as I'm at work for 10 hours a day, six days a week.

I do plan to join one day, when I'm no longer working.  That will be great and I'm really looking forward to it.

Any other information that you can find would be amazing, and very much appreciated.

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4038 of 4,080
Latest reply

Ancestry is free until Monday.................happy searching.

Message 4039 of 4,080
Latest reply

I tried it and I couldn't get any birth marriage or death certificates to show on the screen, It just kept taking me to the sign up page.

I was going to look up the family history of Elizabeth Ann Hopper - her father was George Hopper - her mother ???

And 

Ellen Lumb's history further back than her father Thomas Lumb - her mother Susan (Susey) Lumb

But it wouldn't let me do it.

I think it's just me    ๐Ÿ˜ž

I keyed in James Rostron (my grandad) but all I kept getting even though I was putting in England was all the Aussie Rostrons : (

I didn't realise there were soooo many of them.  

I tried the UK site but maybe that one isn't free this weekend, as I couldn't see any documents on there either.

Thank you for your help though.  I guess the past is still hidden from me.

Message 4040 of 4,080
Latest reply