Asking the OH permission - yea or nay?

Yesterday I went to the hairdressers and had my waist length hair cut really short (like boy length short). While I was sitting in the chair explaining what I wanted, the hairdresser (who also had long hair) said to me

"does your husband know you are cutting off all of your hair?"

I said "he knows I am getting a hair cut"

her "won't he freak out?"

me "no, why would he?"

She then said in reply "really? If I cut all my hair off my fiancee would leave me"

I was shocked but I bit my tongue & later wondered if maybe I was the wierd one and people (male and female) really asked permission from their partners before doing something with their own body (especially something as temporary as a haircut)

Do you ask permission from your other half?

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

No way I'd be "asking permission". Your hairdresser should cut off all her hair, give it to her fiancee and go and find another bloke who's not with her just for her hair.

Whilst I would never ask permission, I might ask OH his opinion. Actually probably not, he could care less about my hair, I'd ask my mother's opinion, she'd be more honest!

You're very brave cutting off your long hair, did it take you long to come to the decision? And are you happy with the results?

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

:^O:^O

Not in this lifetime! I fought too hard in the 60's for the right to make my own choices.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

My ex was into long hair. He would have freaked if I'd come home from the hairdressers with short hair but that wouldn't have stopped me from doing whatever I liked with my own hair.

I think your hairdresser needs to find a new husband. One less controlling 😐

PS How does it feel having short hair now? 🙂

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Really? that's commitment :^O

I always had long hair and because OH liked it, I kept it. Fast forward some years and I was bald for about a year. When it grew back, I kept it short.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Permission? No. I might ask his opinion, which he would give. Then we'd have a "discussion", then I'd sulk for a while, then I'd go and get it cut anyway LOL

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

would you change the appearance of the house without asking?

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

mlor16
Community Member

I don't ask my husband for permission to do anything. If I just turned up after a hairdressing appointment with my hair cut from long to short he wouldn't say anything much. He might say he liked it or that he preferred it long but it wouldn't be a big deal. However if I was going to cut my hair from long to short I would probably ask him what he thought first. If he intended to go off and get a mohawk I would hope that he would ask me what I thought before he did it.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

I might ask for an opinion, but permission??  never!! 

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

I love it actually. It feels so light.

We were away last week on a beachy holiday and long hair was really just a drag with all the swimming and salt.

Most of the time I used to tie it up anyway so I figured cutting it all off was pretty much the same thing.

Besides, if I decide I don't like it, it will always grow back.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply