Burqa 'confronting', says Tony Abbott.

OMG!

And most of the country thinks this numbskull is suitable PM material??

And if that isn't bad enough when asked about Mr Kings proposed radical new policing system in which criminal suspects (only suspects mibnd you. Which i think means all Muslims in Mr Kings world)  would be injected with satellite trackable micro chips shot from a "high powered sniper rifle" his response was:

"I'm just not going to get into the micro-detail of policing," Mr Abbott said.

Micro detail? That is policing? How about "I'm not going to comment on what is obviously a ridiculous statement by King"? That would have been a more appropriate response Mr Abbott.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/burqa-confronting-says-tony-abbott-as-h...

Message 1 of 263
Latest reply
262 REPLIES 262

Re: Burqa 'confronting', says Tony Abbott.

How do you know if someone else is intimidated?

Photobucket
Message 31 of 263
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

I would like to ask Ms Gillard that.  It will sound better coming  from a woman.Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 263
Latest reply

To be confronted by something doesn't only mean to be fearful of it.

It can be a 'stop and think' moment, a distraction.  Personally, I find the burqua 'confronting' because to me, it is a symbol of female oppression.  In Muslim countries it is the norm and accepted.

As a western woman, I can't imagine living every single day of my life being thought of as a threat to the so called 'wholesomeness' of men?

I couldn't live that way as I need more freedoms LOL

That is why it is 'confronting' to me.

Message 33 of 263
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. This thread is getting a little off-topic. Could we please bring the discussion back to "Burqa 'confronting', says Tony Abbott.". Thanks

Message 34 of 263
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

@lakeland27 wrote:

i agree some find it confronting, i just question a man being intimidated by a woman because of her clothing . hence the wuss comment. i certainly dont. small quiet students walking past seem more intimidated by me Smiley Happy

Pics please.   Smiley Wink

that would only lead to disapointment.  Smiley LOL

Message 35 of 263
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

in my case it's crossing the road, or the bowed head that doesn't want to meet my eye. which is annoying .. paying for the buffoonery of others, being a threat because i may be one of those angry anglophiles encountered previously.

thats why i scoff at the Burqa being confronting,  it seems to me its more confonting to actually wear one from those reactions.

Message 36 of 263
Latest reply

@purplecarrot-top wrote:
Just how many crimes have been committed by people wearing a burqa.? Not as many as have been committed wearing other types of clothing.

Why do people feel uncomfortable?

Who would know, maybe they took the burqa off and put on the hoodie as this seems to be the acceptable dress when committing a crime.

I would feel uncomfortable if i was confronted by a person wearing a burqa because I am not used to this and i feel if one cannot show ones face (in Australia) then one maybe hiding something and needs to accept our way of life in OUR country whilst not forgetting their own back ground

One cannot walk into a bank with a bike helmet on then you should not be able to walk into a bamk with a burga on.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 37 of 263
Latest reply

@newstart2380 wrote:

@purplecarrot-top wrote:
Just how many crimes have been committed by people wearing a burqa.? Not as many as have been committed wearing other types of clothing.

Why do people feel uncomfortable?

Who would know, maybe they took the burqa off and put on the hoodie as this seems to be the acceptable dress when committing a crime.

I would feel uncomfortable if i was confronted by a person wearing a burqa because I am not used to this and i feel if one cannot show ones face (in Australia) then one maybe hiding something and needs to accept our way of life in OUR country whilst not forgetting their own back ground

One cannot walk into a bank with a bike helmet on then you should not be able to walk into a bamk with a burga on.

why on earth would you want to wear a helmet in a bank>? and that is a bank rule about the helmet, you can't wear it in a servo either........... like shopping centres and no shoes, no entry...

Message 38 of 263
Latest reply

Carnita Matthews is a good example.  She won a court appeal because the judge said he wasnt sure who was underneath the burqa (the case about making a false statement)

Message 39 of 263
Latest reply

That can't happen again, they have taken steps to ensure the id of people making statements now.
Message 40 of 263
Latest reply