Cadbury pull out of Hobart...

...so is it too late to re-route that waste of funds to SPC as should have been done in the first place?

Message 1 of 105
Latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

@i-need-a-martini wrote:
It was abbotts promise of $66million for cadburys to open an impossible to justify visitors centre in hobart which would have created employment for between 200 to 300 people.

This captains call came a week or so after abbott said ''No way!!!'' to giving SPC a third of that to set up new systems and training for future technologies to increase production for AUSTRALIAN farmers and created future possibilities for many thousands of industries and farmers with wide reaching economic benefits.

SPC has now partnered with cocacola amatil.

Cadbury have decided they couldnt uphold their end of the investment - I suspect bevause their shareholders thought it was a waste of money even with govts $66mill pledge.

SPC were already part of cocacola-amitil. They wanted find to increase production to include some different packages.

I think it was to produce some fruit products here that they imported from china.

The cadbury plant has some asbestos issues to deal with when contemplating expansions.  The whole thing probably needs rebuilding from the ground up but who wants to contribute to that?

Message 11 of 105
Latest reply

So much for Abbott riding on the glory of his  $16m gift  (as was published at the time) to Cadbury in Tasmania, and crowing about the number of jobs it would create. Cadbury to come up with the other $50m needed.

Message 12 of 105
Latest reply

Apologies I copied the wrong figure in. It is $16mill.

But still too much on the heels of rejection of a valid business case.

And whilst cca does own spc, I dont expect a multi national to fork out money for innovation. Surely that is the kind of invrstment that govts (labor or liberal) should provide to secure the future!
Message 13 of 105
Latest reply

Now its just a big dissapointment.. no extra jobs. Surely the Govt could wait till a business case is lodged and approved  before they make a big deal out of announcing the funding publicly.

Message 14 of 105
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:
Apologies I copied the wrong figure in. It is $16mill.

But still too much on the heels of rejection of a valid business case.

And whilst cca does own spc, I dont expect a multi national to fork out money for innovation. Surely that is the kind of invrstment that govts (labor or liberal) should provide to secure the future!

Yes, when it is to increase production and to produce value-added products that were previously imported the govt should subsidise capital works projects.  

Even the car industry was worth subsidising to maintain a presence in Australia.  Most other countries subsidise the vehicle industries. 

Message 15 of 105
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Now its just a big dissapointment.. no extra jobs. Surely the Govt could wait till a business case is lodged and approved  before they make a big deal out of announcing the funding publicly.

It was all an election sham.  The Nash staffer that was caught out and moved on was the salesman of the Cadbury con bribe sweetener.

Message 16 of 105
Latest reply

Cadbury quality has fallen in recent years, it doesnt taste the same and the texture is not as smooth.

Then there is the price increases and the size decreases, The cost of Halal tax?

Message 17 of 105
Latest reply

They changed the recipe to make more money. Pure and simple. Using cheap vegetable oil now
Message 18 of 105
Latest reply

Cadbury's was also one of the advertisers on abbotts bike gear
Message 19 of 105
Latest reply

It tastes the same to me......

maybe more vegetable fats than cocoa butter?

Message 20 of 105
Latest reply