Carrot Question

Does anyone know if there is a genuine reason for not using carrots that are split. The charity I volunteer at was given some carrots and some of them have a split in them. One of the people there told us that we shouldn't use them because of the split. I have cooked them at home before without any problems.
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Carrot Question

There is no problem eating them. Woman Happy

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

No, no reason at all, to pick the best  carrots, you choose t brightcoloured, firm, well-shaped.  When tops are still attached, look for fresh, green leaves. Avoid any that are dry, wilted, shrivelled, soft or split.

It's just a quality control thing and personal choice.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

Split carrots used to be put aside for horse food. I have seen bags of 'second quality' carrots in supermarkets recently - recommended for soup I think on the label. Edible for humans.
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

@am*3 wrote:
Split carrots used to be put aside for horse food.

That is just because we are spoilt wasteful people.  There is nothing wrong with split (it just means they got too much rain and grew too fast) or few spots on veggies and fruit. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

I had a relative-in-law arrive from communist Poland

a few years ago.

He was horrified that we ate corn.  It was pig food to him.

And that was coming from a country that was food poor and

with queues for food

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

@grandmoon wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a genuine reason for not using carrots that are split. The charity I volunteer at was given some carrots and some of them have a split in them. One of the people there told us that we shouldn't use them because of the split. I have cooked them at home before without any problems.

I would think the warning would be for when you were using the carrots raw, like in a cole-slaw.  

We don't just wash them for that, but peel the outside.   With the split, there would be dirt left in there.  HOWEVER, I cut that part away and still use them raw.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

@imastawka wrote:

I had a relative-in-law arrive from communist Poland

a few years ago.

He was horrified that we ate corn.  It was pig food to him.

And that was coming from a country that was food poor and

with queues for food

Did the relative try your sweet corn?   Maybe they think you're eating COW corn..........yuck!

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

Can't really see what the prob is was long as they have been well washed. omg People are just so darn fussy these days, won't eat this, can't eat that, sad really

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Carrot Question

Did the relative try your sweet corn?   Maybe they think you're eating COW corn..........yuck!

Yep, he did, and likes it now.  But as far as I am concerned all corn  in

Ausralia is sweet corn.        Cow corn????

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply