Children's books

What were your favourite books as a child?

🙂

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Children's books

I loved the Famous Five and the Secret Seven.  Also the Bobbsey Twins.  The Narnia books were a favourite.

I have read The Hobbit probably once a year since I was about 12 and The Lord of the Rings regularly since my late teens.  Interestingly I now have a family connection with the production of all the Tolkien movies.  Some one in my extended family appears in the credits for all the movies.

Message 11 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

I was very disappionted that

Tom bombadill didnt get a 

Mention in the movie.

He was one of my fav characters

Message 12 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

My all time favourite reading material as a child (and still now as an adult) are fairy stories.  I used to read them all.  The Blue Book of Fairy Stories, the Red Book of Fairy Stories, The Green Book of Fairy Stories etc, Fairy Stories from Japan, Fairy Stories froom India, Fairy Stories from Ireland etc.  When I had read everything the library had, I started again and re-read them all.......several times

I also read all the Heidi books by Johanna Spyri; Pippi Long Stocking books by Astrid someoneorother; The Bobbesy Twins; What Katy Did etc. I was never really into Famous FIve or Secret Seven but I did read lots of english boarding school books - can't remember the author now but there as a whole series of them that I used to borrow from an older cousin.

Around age ten or so I discovered Mary Steward and read all her books....and a teacher put me on to Perry Mason books around then too. 

I remember reading 79 Park Avenue by Harold Robbins a little later and read all I could find of his books and like Opmania I discovered Lance Horner and Kyle Onstott in my early teens  

Message 13 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

famous 5 and secret 7 when I was younger, then Brian Aldiss and Ray Bradbury, I loved science fiction.

Message 14 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

Astrid Lindgren.  I had forgotten about Perry Mason, read them in my teens as well.

image host
Message 15 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

Magic Pudding, Heidi, Black Beauty, How & Why x lots, Robinson Crusoe (pop up), Swiss Family Robinson, Banjo Patterson and Lawson, Tinka, Brothers Grimm, RL Stevenson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

DEB

Message 16 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

Forgot to mention: I also used to look at the pictures in the Yates Garden Guide, and mum's ex-shop McCall's Catalogues.Smiley Happy

DEB

Message 17 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

What about The Laymens Guide to

Insomnia 🙂

Message 18 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 36
Latest reply

Children's books

@lurker172602 wrote:

I loved the Famous Five and the Secret Seven.  Also the Bobbsey Twins.  The Narnia books were a favourite.

I have read The Hobbit probably once a year since I was about 12 and The Lord of the Rings regularly since my late teens.  Interestingly I now have a family connection with the production of all the Tolkien movies.  Some one in my extended family appears in the credits for all the movies.

That's so cool!

Message 20 of 36
Latest reply