Coronavirus update

Coronavirus update: Formula One Grand Prix called off, Trump announces travel ban, Tom Hanks tests positive

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-live-updates-mclaren-lewis-hamilton-travel-ban/12...

Message 1 of 3,689
Latest reply
3,688 REPLIES 3,688

Coronavirus update

I bow to your superior knowledge.

I assumed that David would know his particular circumstances, but you obviously know better.

Message 2991 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

some of the rules just seem weird

a hardwear store can open but a bakery cannot?

if i'm only allowed out for particular things what on earth does a bakery, oops, i meant a hardwear store carry that i would not be able to survive without?

however surely a bakery sells a pretty basic item 99% use on a daily basis

Message 2992 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

Have you ever tried fixing a water leak with bread?

Message 2993 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

in my shed i have pretty much everything i need to fix a leak

if that fails i have a mains i can turn off while i call a plumber

plumbers are still in business

Message 2994 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

@chameleon54 wrote:

@debra9275 wrote:

IN Victoria. we have been able to manage small outbreaks such as the Chadstone outbreak, which led to outbreaks in Kilmore, Benalla and Shepparton due to a truck driver.. also the outbreak at Box Hill hospital.. these outbreaks were of similar size to the current Adelaide outbreak.They are all under control and, managed with contact tracing and we've had 18 days with zero cases. so i wouldn't be calling any state Govt incompetant...  they are all doing the best they can for their citizens

to suggest that we live in a police state because we had to go into a hard lockdown to combat a large outbreak of the the virus is just ridiculous. no-one enjoyed doing it... the state Govt didn't enjoy doing it. we knew what we had to do and we knew why we were doing it. We.ve not yet seen another state deal with as large a community spread as ours was

Fair points, so here's a direct question for you and other Victorian posters.

Would you like to see Dan Andrews implement border controls to stop possibly infected South Australians from entering your state, until such time as South Australia has again eradicated the virus ?

As Bob says.......GO !

I think Vic has at last shut the borders but not sure for how long.

In my opinion it should have been faster, as soon as there seemed to be a growing outbreak in SA.

This may sound selfish, but we've been through too much in Melbourne to be put in any more risk than we need to be. Every other state closed their borders to us (with good reason) and we should be doing the same.

From memory, we didn't just have a state of emergency here in Vic, I think it was declared a state of disaster and that gave the state government special powers to quickly enact new regulations.

Dan is pretty good at controlling outbreaks once they happen, I respect him for that, but he needs to tighten up stopping outbreaks from happening in the first place. Closing borders is an obvious step.

------------------------

David I think it was(a few pages back) who mentioned long lines of shoppers etc.

Take it from the experts here (those of us from MelbourneSmiley Happy), this will happen every time a regulation changes and a new form of lockdown comes into effect. People do a little panic. But it won't be like March and April with the full on, long lasting shortages. If the media don't play it up (and they didn't here, the second and third times around) then it will settle within days.

You may find toilet paper is in short supply for a few days, but that is all.

As for other products, I found (second time round etc) that there was pretty well always stuff still on the shelves. There was talk of mince disappearing but again, that was back within days. There really is no need to have a huge panic shop, especially for a 2 week lockdown as I believe that is all that is being talked about-6 days hard, 8 days easier.

Even at our hardest though, where we had the curfew and no visitors etc, we were allowed to walk for up to 45 minutes a day, with mask etc. I can't see why SA didn't allow that. We were not able to drive to the place to walk, it had to be from our home. But it was better than nothing.

And long queues for testing. We had that here too, with some queues and waits for up to 6 hours at one stage.

I don't know it is a sign of incompetence by the govt., more a sign that an unusually big group of people are trying to be tested.

I've seen people here in Vic complaining about some workers who are being paid by the government for eg for quarantine work in the hotels, when there is no one currently here from overseas quarantining. People are saying-why are they getting money for very lttle work or no work etc

And this is the dilemma for government. Because if you expect that in SA, there should miraculously be dozens and dozens of people available overnight to do testing and the government should have been prepared etc, then those people would have to have been employed in some capacity beforehand. They would have had no work to speak of over the last few months. So the government can probably only second so many staff into action at the moment.

Governments and just about everyone else only employ for the norm and when something ususual happens it can take a little while for everything to swing into action.

Message 2995 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

@davidc4430 wrote:

some of the rules just seem weird

a hardwear store can open but a bakery cannot?

if i'm only allowed out for particular things what on earth does a bakery, oops, i meant a hardwear store carry that i would not be able to survive without?

however surely a bakery sells a pretty basic item 99% use on a daily basis

My local Bunnings ( one of the largest in the state ) is only open to tradies who need to source things to do emergency repairs to peoples homes ie. plumbers etc. The only service they are offering to the public is contactless, click and collect. The public are not allowed to browse the store. It is possible small country stores may not have online facilities so these may still be open to everyone to allow urgent home repairs to be conducted. 

I suspect the SA government has used a bit of common sense in this regard in that it understands if people are locked away at home for six days ( or 14 days if it works that way ) they need to have something to keep them occupied. If people become too frustrated with lockdowns, you will see widespread disobedience such as we have seen in other states during lockdowns resulting in blatant disregard for everyone's safety. ( example -  BLM rallies in defiance of lockdown directives ).  If a few choose to ignore the health directives, this is where the problems start and extended lockdowns may well be required. So contactless purchases of hardware is consistent with this understanding.. 

Bakeries are treated in exactly the same way. They are open for business as usual to continue to supply thier usual trade customers such as local hospitals, nursing homes and local independent supermarkets etc. with bread and baked goods, but are not open to the general public.

Common sense is being applied to policies and enforcement and as of last night, no fines had been issued to members of the public. The police are adopting an education based approach including handing out free face masks to those who do not have them.

There will always be a few pedants especially on talk back radio and social media who just want to try to make trouble and make out things are worse than they are, but overall the S.A. lockdown has been handled exceptionally well so far, given the lockdowns started within 48 hours of the initial virus outbreak.

Message 2996 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

by the way

i have no wish to see any shop or store thats open, closed

just my point is if i can go into a hardwear store as i'm being told on radio i can 

but a cant go into a bakery to buy bread

then somethings wrong in my opinion.

as i also heard, many smaller towns in rural areas have no supermarkets

they have a butcher, a bakery and a news agents if they are lucky.

are we to asume they must travel to a big town with a supermarket to shop?

if thats the case it makes no sense IMO

Message 2997 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

Victoria records no new coronavirus cases, but a possible positive test result is being assessed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-20/victoria-coronavirus-cases/12903074

Message 2998 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

@davidc4430 wrote:

by the way

i have no wish to see any shop or store thats open, closed

just my point is if i can go into a hardwear store as i'm being told on radio i can 

but a cant go into a bakery to buy bread

then somethings wrong in my opinion.

As already mentioned in small country towns that have hardware stores that don't have online services, you or your local plumber may very well be able to go to the local hardware store and get the fittings to fix a toilet when its not working. If you live in a larger centre with a major brand hardware store, a member of the public may be required to use contactless click and collect, while the registered plumber can walk in and get what they need. Its just common sense.

as i also heard, many smaller towns in rural areas have no supermarkets

they have a butcher, a bakery and a news agents if they are lucky.

are we to asume they must travel to a big town with a supermarket to shop?

if thats the case it makes no sense IMO

I lived in one of those small towns for several decades. I can assure you 98% of the public already hop in the car and drive to the next largest town to access a supermarket. They can still do this, nothings changed. The 2% that don't drive ( mainly elderly or those with disabilities ) get some-one else to buy groceries for them and have that person deliver them to their home. Once again this is specifically covered by the regulations and can continue as normal through the lockdown.

Some people are trying to make this a lot harder than it really is. Picking one or two specific details and conveniently leaving out the rest of the information which covers their concerns. While there are a few people who simply don't understand the requirements, in most cases they are doing this just to try to score some kind of partisan political point.

Message 2999 of 3,689
Latest reply

Coronavirus update

wow, 98%

and the 2% who dont get a friend to shop for them

LOL

Message 3000 of 3,689
Latest reply