Cup Sweep-for fun only, not for real

I was just wondering if anyone here would be interested in being in a Cup Sweep.

It's sort of a Melbourne tradition, even for non gamblers.

Of course, a board cup sweep would be for fun only, no money involved.

How it would work is simple. If people want to be in it, they just say so, then before the cup I could enter the names, pull out the horse names and let people know what horse or horses they have before the race.

Obviously, there are no prizes except the honour and glory of having had the winning horse.😅

We used to do this on another board I was on and it was all a bit of fun. We had first, second and third place winners plus an honorable mention for whoever had the last horse!

If you'd like to be in it, just add your name.

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Cup Sweep-for fun only, not for real

k1ooo sir sales

Message 11 of 78
Latest reply

papermoon.lady

Message 12 of 78
Latest reply

Thanks, everyone. Names noted.

I will leave it open to anyone else who would like to be in it till about Monday lunchtime & do the draw then.

It may be that everyone or some people will get 2 horses. (I have no idea how many horses are in it but it is usually a lot).

If anyone out there hasn't put their name down, do join in, wonderful cyber prizes! (well, we can dream 😂)

Message 13 of 78
Latest reply

arctoph_49
Community Member

arctoph_49

Message 14 of 78
Latest reply

michelleb.

Message 15 of 78
Latest reply

There are 24 horses, Springy.

I think you only have 14 posters so far.

Message 16 of 78
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

There are 24 horses, Springy.

I think you only have 14 posters so far.

Thanks, stawka.

I did look it up after I posted and from what I can gather, there are still about 5 hopefuls waiting to see if they get a place in the race and the final 24 won't be known till... I forget exactly when but I think maybe Sunday some time?

I will wait till Monday lunchtime in case there are any scratchings or whatever.

I guess the beauty of a pretend sweep is we can bend the rules a little.

It's unlikely we will have exactly 24 people interested (although wouldn't that be a great outcome) so maybe some people will have to have 2 horses.

If that happens, I'll just throw all the names back in a hat and draw them out till all the spots are filled.

It's funny as it reminds me of a sweep like this we had on another board years ago. One man who was a bit of a villain actually (always getting banned by the mods but reappearing under a new nick) ended up with the horses that won first and second place and some people were outraged. It wasn't as if there were any real prizes anyway.

And if any of us could have known which horses were going to get first and second place beforehand, we would have placed a bet in real life, never mind an online sweep.😂

Message 17 of 78
Latest reply

Wait a minute — there’s no trip to Venice being offered here?

OUTRAGEOUS! 🚣‍🇮🇹🍝🛫🗺🛂

Message 18 of 78
Latest reply

All aboard......

6136-1386688592-53a48108b5d27719b4430d4c6a3bd870.jpg

Message 19 of 78
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Wait a minute — there’s no trip to Venice being offered here?

OUTRAGEOUS! 🚣‍🇮🇹🍝🛫🗺🛂

No need for outrage, countess. If it is a trip to Venice you are after, it is a trip to Venice you'll get if you win. All things are possible in the cyber world. 😂

Anyone else with special requests should they win?

Message 20 of 78
Latest reply