Decluttering your home

j*oono
Community Member

Is Peter Walsh selling on ebay or something?

I just saw him convince an old bloke that he should declutter his books and the man wanted to keep a hard back copy of a James Bond book by Ian Fleming and he got him to throw it in the donate bin.

Does he know how much Ian fleming novels can sell for on ebay?

Hmmmm

Joono
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Decluttering your home

I know what you mean about things not matching. I have been looking at houses on the real estate sites (not for myself) and have come to recognise the modern look and what looks a bit dated.

It's made me realise just about everything in my house is a bit dated (including me). It was a new house 30 years ago but times change.

But.. I find myself really liking a lot of the furniture and quirky stuff from the 60s and 70s. Some of mum's stuff has come back into its own!

I just tell myself I am eclectic.Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I know what you mean about things not matching. I have been looking at houses on the real estate sites (not for myself) and have come to recognise the modern look and what looks a bit dated.

It's made me realise just about everything in my house is a bit dated (including me). It was a new house 30 years ago but times change.

But.. I find myself really liking a lot of the furniture and quirky stuff from the 60s and 70s. Some of mum's stuff has come back into its own!

I just tell myself I am eclectic.Smiley Very Happy

My house and its contents are very dated too.....and I don't care.

I've got some demountable bookcases in dark brown.....plastic.  Ditto some (different company) open style white ones....also plastic.  The brown units were made by Winton Plastics and sold at Clark Rubber decades ago and I wonder what happened to any units that people bought because I've never seen them up for sate anywhere.  I still have an old brochure describing the range (they came in lots of colours) with round tables (got one in white), Casala chairs (alas mine had to be replaced), and accessories like stools, occasional tables (which I have in white), magazine holders, waste bins and even a bed, tastefully (!) decorated in a huge print fabric in mostly lime green.....with matching curtains of course. Smiley Very Happy

My house is a time warp and probably a decorator's nightmare.  But I look around at my very very handy and being modular, very flexible, mission brown plastic shelving....and wish I could buy more of them.

Keeping up with the latest decorator trends.....who gives a rats.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

yes i like all sorts of decor old/ shabby /eames/ modern

they are all lovely as long as its all the same look in the right era house

we moved to a new estate because the old house needed some work and was on a slope i cant walk well and i couldnt even use the backyard and it was way to big hubby is sick of gardening

it cost us less to buy a brand new home than it would have to fix the old one lol 

plus this one is only 5 mins walk to a brand new full shopping centre and a tiny back yord (perfect) and its all flat (me legs love that)  

BUT we have had to buy all new furniture because ours just didnot look right

your mums stuff would sell well i bet its very popular now all kinds of retro

Woman Happy

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

*pepe
Community Member

decluttered my house - so much easier to dust and vacuum now - only problem is I can't fit my car in the garage now.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

haha thats cheating 

get busy listing 🙂

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

ooak3
Community Member

passed a house yesterday with the garage door up 

it looked fantastic all neat down the sides and they had hung a huge amount of artwork on the wall facing out looked realy good 

so i have taken all the artwork of ithat i had listed and will do the same (copycat lol)

will have to wait a couple of more months until our daughter moves out (cus its full of her fthen we will get the garage floor polished and hang the artwork 

and i get to keep all the lovely pictures that i did not realy want to sell (they just dont match this place)

Woman Very HappyWoman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

It sounds like a great move.

We've got a big yard on a sloping block. It has been great over the years, plenty of room for the kids to play, but they have grown and gone, one day we'll probably need to downsize too.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I have difficult decluttering here as the OH like to keep thing because they might come in handy.  This morning I am putting out a old router which has died and he is want to keep it as it might be useful for the old TV set he has.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

I grew up on a farm that had been in our family for several generations. The families had struggled through the depression and learnt not to throw anything out. The rambling farm sheds where full of old trucks, engines, horse drawn farm implements and hard crusty leather  bridles, Old wooden wheels, several vintage tractors, every push bike or tricycle that any kid had owned in the past eighty years and my favourite, the old blacksmiths workshop, just as it was left when my grandfather retired in the 1950,s. It had all of the tongs lined up on the edge of the forge, coal still in the 44 gallon drum along side. Numerous bits of strange shaped rusty metal in piles under the old wooden benches and wooden shelves over the top of benches with old 1920,s ornate salvital tins filled with screws and nails for the horse shoes. There was even an old jar full to the top with legacy and red cross lapel badges. I used to make go carts with the old pram wheels and play in the sheds looking at all the old and strange things.

Some of this has rubbed off as I now have several sheds crammed with similar wierd and wonderful things. I know I shouldnt, but I love hoarding the old, strange, shiny and unusual. Theres the strange navigating tool with rotating discs that war time pilots strapped to their leg. The extendable trench periscope. The rope making tool. The approx. 500 matchbox toys from the 1970,s and 80,s and a seagull outboard motor with brass fuel tank. Numerous cyclops trikes and scooters hang from the roof and shelves are stacked with old typewriters and singer sewing machines. Theres a number of old cars including two dusty VW beetles and a little Honda 360 car, powered by a motor bike motor. Around ten old motor cycles including a 1971 Yamaha 650, that I purchased when I left school and a rare Benelli 250. Old signs are stacked everywhere, my favourite being an old coke sign featuring Father Christmas and an ancient roadworks, " men at work "sign. And lets not forget the 200 odd beer cans collection I picked up at a garage sale for twenty dollars. A large metal trunk contains around fourty old bellows type cameras and box brownies and several other trunks are full of old dolls. Theres even an esky full of 30 year old fireworks. ( long illegal in our state and watch those dry old fuses Smiley Wink ) Every now and then the kids pull a few out and let them off with thier friends at a camp fire.

Declutter ?? ?  Nah.you can have your decluttering.  I like it just the way it is.     Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Just love it - reads like.

I want Chapter 2.

Robot Happy

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply