Does anyone have any experience with Dyslexia

One of my grandsons has just been found to have severe dyslexia in most areas.

School is a nightmare for him.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Does anyone have any experience with Dyslexia

Anonymous
Not applicable
This site looks good flashie

http://dyslexia.com.au/?gclid=CJaaqrrT88YCFUxvvAodKWgPJw

I worked with a lady that was dyslexic ,went through high school ok ,college ,then hairdressing ..became a tech teacher ...

Hope his school can help him ! Otherwise I would find one that could iykwim .
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

We have a meeting next week to see what plan they are going to put into practise.

We also want to get him a tutor..............but obviously it needs to be one who is familiar with sever dylsexia.

It breaks my heart to see him struggle so much...........he is a rather smart boy with a brilliant sense of humour...............but learning in a standard way just is not working for him.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

When my son started high school, I joined the reading group, a few parents that would come into the school to help.

The student I worked with once a week for an hour was a big lad, nervous and taciturn. We used to sit at these small desks together, in a tight cubby corner of an office. I was only told he was 'behind', and my son didnt know him.

It turned out he had severe dyslexia, he had repeated a couple of years(and from memory) was 15 and a half in year 7. But he came every week, and we worked on his reading and homework, and I coaxed info out of him..there was a lot of tension at home, his father was in denial, and his mother was expecting the school 'to fix him' (a teacher told me this after 4 months) I did some research so that I could help him, but I felt quite out of my depth..

The first thing I noticed was that he was so defeated- he had picked up that his parents, teachers and peers thought that he was dumb, and he was believing it and the next thing I noticed was that he wasnt dumb. He was bright and had an excellent memory..we started reading aloud together, and I noticed he would speak half a beat after me, not reading, just repeating me..so I asked him to read aloud by himself and when he realised I was very patient, he calmed down enough to sound the words out. Its really important not to interrupt when people with dyslexia read, even if you think youre being helpful..

I found this website to be helpful and recommended it to his home teacher for his parents- a tutor is a good investment- earlier the better..and personally, I think the attitude from home ought to be that dyslexia is a learning difficulty- and many people who are high achievers deal with it (rather than 'suffer' from it)

Confidence and practice is key..early intervention is important, but support and kindness will have a great effect on him. Good luck!

www.auspeld.org.au

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Kilroy would be the person here to talk to. He has told us he has dyslexia; and he seems to cope with it pretty well.

Jackie French also has dyslexia.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Dyslexia runs through our family with several young people affected. They are all bright kids but have struggled at school.  Actually recieving the diagnosis of dyslexia was very positive as the kids ( and parents ) could understand why they where struggling and take steps to address the problem. A couple of the kids have had a lot of parental support, along with private tutors and one has just started uni.

Our son has also found school very difficult. We have had him to numerous health proffesionals and spent $800 to have an educational physcologist do a complete assesment of him. She IQ tested him and found he was in the top 20% of the population for IQ, but had Dysgraphia. This is very similar to dyslexia but affects his ability to write down his thoughts, rather than reading. The words just get scrambled somewhere between his brain and his hand. ( not very helpfull for school. ) He also has a bag full of other conditions such as auditory processing disorder, anxiety, symptoms of autism spectram and occasional periods of physcosis.

Conditions such as dyslexia can often, ( but not always ) be associated with other mental health problems, so it may pay to keep an eye out for other problems such as anxiety. It has taken two years of ongoing visits to numerous proffesionals to get an understanding of his conditions.

With his high IQ our son was able to manage school quite well until around year ten, but as subjects became more complex he become disengaged from school and eventually began to skip the classes he struggled in. Once this began, we took the difficult decision to remove him from school on his 16th birthday. We could see things where not going well and had worked with the school to give our son a number of extra work experience opportunities and had encouraged him to look at various vocational opportunities, so there had been quite a bit of preperation work done before he left school.

He had a part time job at KFC which he enjoyed. In the two months since leaving school, KFC have taken him on as a permenant employee. They have signed him up to a certificate 3 retail traineeship and are giving him around 30-35 hours work per week. KFC are also giving him greater responsability and are working towards using him to train other young employees. He plans to do courses in bartender and coffee barristering to provide further opportunities to work in the hospitality industry post KFC.

He also helps me in our sheep grazing business and has his own small sheep flock. He is saving money, working hard, undertaking short courses in TAFE and has basically bloomed since leaving school. In his spare time he writes and plays music, does photography, has restored an old VW kombi for his first car and just hangs out with his mates.

We dont know what the future holds for our son, but believe that school just wasnt working for him. The path he is travelling is not the conventional one for a young person, but he is doing something constructive and is happier now than he has been for a very long time. There may not be a cure for kids with these conditions, but if they learn to manage and live with them, they can still have a bright and positive future.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

trancreave
Community Member

I did, but It's not certain that what worked for me would work for your grandson. There is no one size fits all. My best tool was a tutor. One on one simplification without outside distractions common in the classroom setting. For one or two class periods a day. It also kept me in check, not so easy to brush off schoolwork or homework when the focus is on you alone instead of an entire class. If not for a tutor, I would be content to write in any crazy answer and fail. Espeasally in math, I did not like math at all.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@trancreave wrote:

I did, but It's not certain that what worked for me would work for your grandson. There is no one size fits all. My best tool was a tutor. One on one simplification without outside distractions common in the classroom setting. For one or two class periods a day. It also kept me in check, not so easy to brush off schoolwork or homework when the focus is on you alone instead of an entire class. If not for a tutor, I would be content to write in any crazy answer and fail. Espeasally in math, I did not like math at all.

What do you mean "I did"? There is no cure for dyslexia so you must still have it.

Flashie - don't depair. So many dyslexic kids go on to be pretty successful. It all depends on the support and encouragement of family. At uni I tutored quite a few kids that were dyslexic and whilst they had to work harder than everyone else, they were also smarter and more creative.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I'm dyslexic and have been forever.   I've been known to read 'no parking' as 'on parking'...actually did that during my driving test for my license.  But, I was a great parallel parker and it apparently made up for the fact that I didn't read correctly.  (Of course, I could read, it just sometimes came out  kittywampus.)

Life goes on.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Flashy , what would you like to know, btw which state at you in?
Photobucket
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply