Dog Parks, are they safe?

Dog attack sparks calls for segregated parks to protect smaller breeds

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-27/call-for-segregated-dog-parks-to-protect-small-breeds/9589244

I was in favour of a dog park being established near where i live, but i have recently changed my view.

i would love a place where i could take FOO and let him off lead, but the thought of him being attacked by someones agressive dog has put me off the idea.

ive seens news reports of dogs attacking other dogs in dog parks too often now.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@bright.ton42wrote:

What to do?  For me i'm aware of risks in the park but choose to let them offleash but not to roam too far and stay close.      .  

Yes, and when we get to the park and there are dogs there, I have a good look at the situation and keep watching mine and the other dogs, and if I stop feeling comfortable, I just call my dogs and we go home. 

In Victoria, as far as I know, dogs have to be on the leash everywhere, except designated areas - dog parks and dog beaches.  Yet we have number of dogs walked off the leash past my house every day.  My cats used to like sitting under the front veranda but now are too scared. 

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0wrote:

@chameleon54wrote:

@lyhargr-0wrote:

Where I live, dogs are permitted to be walked off lead at all times, so no need for off leash dog parks   ... 

Our council has the same policy. Dogs can be walked off lead anywhere if under the control of the owner. AND YES it causes a lot of problems. We have native areas in the township with a very rare sub species of nesting hooded plovers. Dogs off lead have decimated the population smashing eggs and killing chicks. People and other dogs are regularly intimidated or attacked by some-ones pride and joy who is " just being friendly ". Many responsible, often elderly dog walkers who keep their dogs on leads also carry large sticks to fend off other peoples dogs.

I,m a pretty big strong bloke, but I have been harrased and concerned for my safety on two occasions by off lead aggresive dogs. Around twelve months ago there where terrified screams coming from the walkway near the river in front of our house. A middle aged woman was being viscously attacked by an off lead staffie. I ran down to her with a shovel and with the help of neighbours we fought the dog off.  

Our 85 YO neighbour lost her beloved cat to an off lead dog attack. It was devestating for the elderly woman as she lives alone and her cat is her only companion. I have also had to stop my ute in town and jump out to protect another elderly lady walking a lap dog on lead from an unrestrained large dog.

Its a totally stupid policy if you ask me, but in our town the dog lobby is fairly organised, active and vocal. They remind me of the gun lobby in America and it would be a brave councilor who tried to ammend the act and require all dogs to be on leads. The silly part is the council has spent a six figure sum on a dog park, but because people can walk dogs off lead, anywhere, no-one uses it.

Having said all of that, I regularly let my dogs off lead at a large dam on my farm and they just love playing chasey and swimming. Its the highlight of their week.

Wow, you really do spin some amazing "tales", every considered writing a book? Fictional of course 🙂

See Stalker, more than one of us lives in a "prison 🙂

I know it sounds like a cliche , but I do realise I have been blessed with an intersting life. It certianly hasnt been easy with plenty of disapointments and hard times along the way. I have had a number of carreers, none of them really planned. It just seems that one thing led to another.

example - My wife started a garden nursey in the back yard as a hobby. It grew so we built a bigger one. It grew some more and we purchased a commercial block of land and built another one again. I started landscaping as an extra service to the nursery. That grew and I ended up sub contracting for a major building company. They liked our work and asked us if we would consider doing warrenty work on new houses. ( I was buying, renovating and flipping houses in my spare time ) That led to an offer of an adult traineeship, eventually leading to me getting a building licence. They even offered me a job as a site supervisor, with a view to eventually becoming a project manager, but I declined as I didnt have the time. ( and they couldnt afford me .....Smiley Very Happy ) None of it really planned, I just take the opportunities when they arise and see where it goes.

As for the tales being fictional, I have been outright acused of B$ on several occasions and have always been able to provide proof that every word is true. ( Waves to bushie.....Smiley Wink   )  Also there are enough regulars who know one or more of my selling ID,s who will soon notice if I was to tell porkies about my ebay businesses.

As for writing, ..............well.......... been there, done that. I worked, part time as a jounalist for a national motoring magazine once. ( wasnt planned though....Smiley Very Happy    )

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply