Election promises

ladydeburg
Community Member

What is the future of elections if  truth in advertising is ignored.,  any election promise that has to be broken is a death knell for any government these days after the carbon lie.

Should political parties make any promises at all in election mode? and if not, how will we judge what their policies are? if a policy is found to be unworkable or unaffordable in changing circumstances, should the party be then subject to relentless attack  until government is unworkable.

The new political landscape we see now is very different to the landscape we saw under Hawke and Howard.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Election promises

I can see you are a passionate Labor supporter and I respect that, but  the topic is about political campaigns and the promises made in them

Do you mean the campaign about stopping the boats? They are still coming apparently lol

boats.jpg

Photobucket
Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

Your partisan slip is showing. This topic is not about any particular politial party its about election campaigns and honesty in them And what type of future campaigns will be run.

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

@ladydeburg wrote:

The new political landscape we see now is very different to the landscape we saw under Hawke and Howard.

Yes it is.

Sadly the bar has been set very low by this current government.

Not sure if we will ever get over it.

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

@ladydeburg wrote:

Your partisan slip is showing. This topic is not about any particular politial party its about election campaigns and honesty in them And what type of future campaigns will be run.

I gave you an excellent example of the dishonesty in election campaigns. Would you like another?

Photobucket
Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

If this is going to turn into another Abbott bashing thread i’ll leave you to  it.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

@ladydeburg wrote:

I gave you an excellent example of the dishonesty in election campaigns. Would you like another?

"partisanship" aside, I think the example you gave is a very interesting one Donna.

It's one thing to involve yourself in basic dishonesty (such as "We will not make cuts to the ABC") but quite another to deliberately mislead by not providing vital information (as is the case with the boats that apparently have stopped coming but we really wouldn't know).

And that is what I mean when I say the bar has now been set very low.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

@vicr3000 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

The pension age for men and women born from 1 July 1952 will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.

Period within which a person was born Pension age Date pension age changes

From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 195365 years and 6 months1 July 2017
From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 195566 years1 July 2019
From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 195666 years and 6 months1 July 2021
From 1 January 1957 onwards67 years1 July 2023

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

Yep, that was the time scale laid out by Labor.

Obviously, which is why I posted it, as ladyb asked what age it was raised to.

Do you know the age Labor raised it to? I think it's 68 but I'm not sure.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

ladydeburg
Community Member

Looks like the PM is going to abandon that policy  and stick with the Labor projection of 68 years.

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

67 years?

Why do they keep announcing new changes/policies and then back-flip on them?

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

I think a question which should be asked is: does the electorate  really expect politicians to keep their election promises? Surely by now we've learned that whichever side is making them  it is all hot air and weasel words and that afterwards they will insist that black is really white and what they said wasn't really what we thought they meant.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply