Fantastic Fiction

Anything relating to novels, short stories or other kinds of fiction.  

Recommendations on books to read.

Requests for recommendations on books to read.  

Reviews of books.  

Types of fiction YOU like to read.  

The ANYTHING FICTION THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Fantastic Fiction

Hi Katy. I read just about anything. Always have been a reader.

Reading the latest Jack Reacher book. Feel it is not as good as previous ones. Taking me a while to get through it.
Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

Hi PCT.

I was just thinking of saying I don't read "romance" ... then I thought of my big love affair with Jane Austen. I also read most things ... I'm not as adventurous as I should be about reading new authors ... I just buy the latest from my old favourites.

What sort of novels does Jack Reacher write?
Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

Hi Katy,

I'm usually a pushover for a mystery or thriller (who done it) story, but just recently I finished reading Until Tuesday, a true story about a wounded warrior and the golden retriever who saved him.  It was so good and I would highly recommend.

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

right now i'm reading a short story collection called" queen victoria,s book of spells",edited by terri windling and ellen datlow.

they have several collections as editors,most are fantastic fiction,love them!

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

I should have said Lee Child. Jack Reacher is the character in the books. They are thrillers.

I must admit to reading romances as well. Good for when I want to relax without much effort.
Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

Thanks, PCT.

Hi there, Dwilke. Thanks for the link. Looks like a tear jerker.

I'm a fan of John Grisham and Richard North Patterson ... both write what you might call "legal fiction", but not exclusively.

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

I like John Grisham. Never read any of Richard North Patterson. Will have to put him on my to read list.
Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

I like thrillers, loved the Jack Reacher series and Stig Larssens "Girl That Kicked The Hornet's Nest".

Horror, the most recent one that got me in was "Skull Session" by Daniel Hecht and of course, Stephen King.

Fantasy, like Gene Wolfe "Shadow of the Torturer" series and Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series.

Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

Fantastic Fiction

Patterson's good with everything ... plots, characters, and most of all, he's an excellent writer. Try and read him in order as he has a few repeat characters, and a trilogy. I started in the middle and that was fine, but next time I read the books in order and that was better.

Possibly the book of his I like best is Protect and Defend, about a young girl who gets pregnant and wants an abortion as there is a high chance that the baby will not live after the birth, and the girl might not be able to have any more children after the pregnancy. BUT, her parents are high up in a right to life organisation. And, they want their grandchild, so they take their daughter to court.

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply