Floyd's family to receive $35m

George Floyd's family to receive $35m from Minneapolis as murder trial jury selection goes on

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-13/minneapolis-to-pay-$35m-to-family-of-george-floyd-for-lawsuit...

this is how the USA deals with cop screw ups, give the victim or their family a big wad of money

seldom does the cop get in much trouble

only in the worst of worst cases when the media hound the authorities do the authorities actually act against the cop in a meaningful way

btw, had there not been a camera you think this family would be getting anything?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Sean Hannity & Tucker Carlson will have something to say about the payout. Mark my words.
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Yes - eyewitnesses have been around longer than phone cameras.

But the cameras do make it so much easier.

More interesting - how long will the cop get. ??

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

There were no cameras rolling when Justine Damond was murdered.  And the officer involved was convicted of murder.

It's the same city that making all these payouts.

From your link -

In 2019, Minneapolis agreed to pay $US20 million ($26 million) to the family of Australian-born Justine Ruszczyk Damond in another civil lawsuit.

She was unarmed when shot by an officer after calling police to a possible crime happening behind her home.

That officer was jailed for 12½ years

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

There were no cameras rolling when Justine Damond was murdered.  And the officer involved was convicted of murder.

It's the same city that making all these payouts.

From your link -

In 2019, Minneapolis agreed to pay $US20 million ($26 million) to the family of Australian-born Justine Ruszczyk Damond in another civil lawsuit.

She was unarmed when shot by an officer after calling police to a possible crime happening behind her home.

That officer was jailed for 12½ years

.......and Justine was white

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I hope the punishment fits the crime, as for the big payout - if it even goes through it goes no where near replacing a man's life, but I hope it hurts someones pocket.....oh it will, the tax payers.

I think this will have the right outcome, it is too public a situation now for them to just say OOPS here your cash, sorry about your son, back to work officer.

Murder is murder, and anyone that thinks denying air to a human being for longer than 5 minutes is not going to cause death is not only an idiot, but a disgrace to humanity.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

I hope the punishment fits the crime, as for the big payout - if it even goes through it goes no where near replacing a man's life, but I hope it hurts someones pocket.....oh it will, the tax payers.

I think this will have the right outcome, it is too public a situation now for them to just say OOPS here your cash, sorry about your son, back to work officer.

Murder is murder, and anyone that thinks denying air to a human being for longer than 5 minutes is not going to cause death is not only an idiot, but a disgrace to humanity.

If murder is murder. Floyd has caused just as much suffering than imaginable. The policeman involved is guilty as charged but Flyod is not a hero and should be remembered as a criminal which he is.

I hope all that money goes to Floyd's victims. All those he assulted and robbed from .

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

True that Floyd is not a hero.

But he didn't deserve to be murdered.

I see only one case of assault and robbery - the last in 2007

All the others were for small amounts of possession of drugs - victimless crimes

Background Check: Investigating George Floyd’s Criminal Record | Snopes.com

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@katistrophik wrote:

If murder is murder. Floyd has caused just as much suffering than imaginable. The policeman involved is guilty as charged but Flyod is not a hero and should be remembered as a criminal which he is.

I hope all that money goes to Floyd's victims. All those he assulted and robbed from .

The unforgiven by some, lets distract from the real issue.

Signatures suck.
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@katistrophik wrote:

Indeed, but I don't think his crimes deserved the death penalty

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply