Flu vaccine 2018: Do you need it and when should you get it?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-04-09/when-to-get-the-flu-vaccine/9626610

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It depends on a persons lifestyle and diet also. Works differently for different people.

The level of resistance in a persons body and when the last time a person had the flu.

My father had been getting the flu vax every year.

He found the the year he go it, the cold or flu he got that year would last 2-3 days.

The year without vax, he would get the flu or cold for 4-5 days.

So he doesn't bother getting the vax anymore.

He is 90, but a strong fit healthy 90. People think he is about 75 when they meet him.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

i have it every year, as i have diabetes i get it free which i'm grateful for.

i allways let my doctor decide when i have it.

i see him pretty often so i just ask if its time yet when i do see him.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

David, I have diabetes too so also get the shot for free....plus I am well over 65.

I saw my doctor just before Easter and was told it was too early for this year's shot.....the serum issued by the Health Department to doctors has not even been sent out yet....it should be available from mid to late April.

Don't fall for the ones being offered by the Chemists.....they are not the new super strength ones that are being issued to cope with the new strains of flu.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:

David, I have diabetes too so also get the shot for free....plus I am well over 65.

I saw my doctor just before Easter and was told it was too early for this year's shot.....the serum issued by the Health Department to doctors has not even been sent out yet....it should be available from mid to late April.

Don't fall for the ones being offered by the Chemists.....they are not the new super strength ones that are being issued to cope with the new strains of flu.

i allways get it from my doctor, there are some things i dont want strangers doing and sticking needles in me is one of them.

i'm quite happy for the chemist to maybe take my blood pressure but thats about it.

i just scratch my head sometimes when i see what people let 'non medical' people do...like piercings!

sure it might be cheaper but what price your health?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Think this is on 60 minutes tonight.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/04/22/04/12/60-minutes-influenza-flu-season-cold-virus-danger...

Last year we saw an exceptionally strong strain of flu killing over 1,000 people and this year the new vax not only contains the newer strains but is also given in larger doses.

My father is having th flu vax this year. Probably a good move.

image host
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Strangely, last year was the first year for yonks that I didn't have the vaccine.

The dr was concerned about putting too much strain on my system.

I sailed though without a problem.

Unsure whether to have it this year or not, now.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

i think its like insurance, you can have it forever and never need it....but

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

................but it gives you peace of mind.

I have never had the vax but after seeing the news going around, I don't know either whether I should.

I may decide next month.

image host
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply