'Mini-Me' Verne Troyer dies, aged 49

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Verne Troyer dead at 49 after Mini-Me star was 'placed under involuntary psychiatric hold' in hospital earlier this month

Verne Troyer has died at the age of 49.

The Austin Powers star died on Saturday afternoon with a statement on his Instagram page making reference to "depression and suicide".

"Depression and Suicide are very serious issues," the statement read.

You never know what kind of battle someone is going through inside.

"Be kind to one another. And always know, it’s never too late to reach out to someone for help."

The actor - best known for being one of the shortest men in the world - was placed under involuntary psychiatric hold earlier this month after his worried friends rang the emergency services for help.

The Austin Powers actor, 49, was being kept under observation after he was rushed to hospital from his north Hollywood home amid concerns he was "extremely upset, drunk and suicidal", one of his friends told paramedics.

It was believed Verne was kept in hospital for 72 hours so doctors could evaluate and treat him, amid reports he was hospitalised with suspected alcohol poisoning.

LA Fire Department revealed the initial emergency call concerned poisoning, but didn't give further details.

And the Los Angeles Police Department said a man matching Verne's description was taken to a hospital and placed on an involuntary psychiatric hold, also known as a '5150'.

Under Californian law, a qualified officer, such as a cop, or specially designated county clinician can request involuntary confinement for a patient who is suspected of being a danger to themselves, a danger to others, or gravely disabled.

The news comes a year after Troyer voluntarily checked into rehab over his battle with alcohol addiction.

He has been open about his booze problems for years and vowed to "continue my fight day by day" as he sought treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/verne-troyer-dead-at-49-after-mini-me-star-was-pla...

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

very sad news

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply