Freemasonary

What do you know about it?

I was told that one Mason could identify another Mason by shaking hands with them.

Apparently they have some special secret handshake.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Freemasonary

http://www.aboutfreemasons.com/Masonic_Secret_Handshake

but it is no secret.

My OH was one....he quit when he realised they were so chauvinistic......

Message 2 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

yes, I did the google thing, and I have read a few books, I was just interested in some "real" examples iykwim.

I was talking to a really elderly gentleman the other day about it and maybe it was his generation or maybe even just him, but he was very secret about his involvement.

He admitted to having been one earlier in his life.

He didn't specifically say he had stopped/quit or whatever, but he didn't say he was still a member either.

And it was he who told me about the handshake thingo. He wouldn't show me the handshake but did say he would recognize someone else using it.

That's all he would say on the subject.

The only other real life knowledge I have is my grandma got preferential placement in a nursing home (20 odd years ago - she passed away in 1993) because "someone she knew" had connections to Freemasonary. My grandpa - her husband, may have been that person, but he passed away in 1977, so even if he was the connection, he had been gone for over 14 years.

Message 3 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

mugssy65
Community Member

My fil is one, as far as I can tell, silly handshakes, sillier aprons and stupid antiquated rules! AND yes he is a chauvinistic pig a trait he did not hand down to his son!

Message 4 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

Lucky Mugsy!

I spent many an afternoon whiling away the time making tea and cakes and floral deccies...while the boys played dress up.....:|

Message 5 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

**meep**
Community Member

A couple of our close friends are.  They invited the OH to join.  Not sure about the handshake.  I could ask them I guess...

Message 6 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

You'd need to know the enormous history behind the Freemasons before you would comprehend its significance.

There is is/was a reason for the secrecy that doesn't really apply today, but did back in the 1300s

The handshake is real but don't believe all the rubbish you read... there are some very big names in the Masonic movement. 🙂

Message 7 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

It is a massive business networking thing and can be very lucrative.

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

It is now azure but its history goes back to the 1300s

Message 9 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

You'd need to know the enormous history behind the Freemasons before you would comprehend its significance.

There is is/was a reason for the secrecy that doesn't really apply today, but did back in the 1300s

The handshake is real but don't believe all the rubbish you read... there are some very big names in the Masonic movement. 🙂

When I was googling there was a list of prominent members.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that women are now allowed to join.

Message 10 of 78
Latest reply