GST on second hand goods, is this true?

psrhlt
Community Member

Message from Ebay saying GST will be applicable to Ebay sales. Is this for new products only or both new and second hand?

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I used to buy bulk lots of darkroom equipment back in the days when every listing had a listing fee.  Members used to avoid listing fees by listing all their darkroom gear in one listing rather than having ten or twelve listings.

These used to be "pickup only" because of the amount of stuff in the listing.  I would buy from Sydney or Melbourne sellers and pickup during school holidays when I was going there anyway . . . . . so it was not a great inconvenience.

When I got the gear home I would clean up one or two of the items that could be posted, like enlarger timer or developing tank, and once I had recovered what I had spent I would donate the rest of the gear to the school at which I was teaching.

Back then I wasn't buying to sell for a profit.  I told my tax agent about what I was doing and he said that so long as I didn't maintain an interest in the items I donated then all was fine and that a letter from the Head of Department co-signed by the principal would keep me in the ATO good books if they ever queried my eBay activity.  I wasn't spending a lot so there was no risk of hitting the reporting limit which was $20,000 later reduced to $10,000.

Message 41 of 68
Latest reply

Well eBay just charged me GST on 60 bucks worth of second hand shoes. What the........
Message 42 of 68
Latest reply

@123sturits wrote:
Well eBay just charged me GST on 60 bucks worth of second hand shoes. What the........

if you bought them from overseas then they are just doing as they are now required to do under Australian Law.

eBay do not get to keep that money, they forward it to the ATO.

If this is all new to you then I suspect that you have no access to TV, radio, newspapers or the internet.  I suggest you start reading news sites, watching TV news or listening to on-the-hour radio news bulletins.

Message 43 of 68
Latest reply

@123sturits wrote:

Did you pay about $6 GST on the shoes or 60c (or thereabouts) for GST on the ebay fee?

Message 44 of 68
Latest reply

Yes it's true as from July 1st 2018. I got caught purchased a watch from the USA and Ebay took out $42.61 and on my bank statement it says that Ebay took gst $42.61. And they pass it on to the taxman.

This typical TORY law will now stop me from buing overseas. New or Second Hand doesn't make a difference.

NOT HAPPY JAN

Message 45 of 68
Latest reply

I feel your pain!  

What extra 'service' am I really paying for when I purchase secondhand items of jewellery from the USA  for personal use that are unavailable in Australia?  

I am contributing towards the USA sellers income/livelihood, I am contributing towards ebay USA in the way of fees via the seller, I am contributing towards USPS, DHL/FedEx etc, and I am contributing towards Australia Post.

So why should I be paying GST on a 'low priced item' that is secondhand?  Surely with such an advanced accounting system Ebay  could just filter and apply the GST fees to items that are listed and sold as 'new' only? 

Such a rort that they can't be bothered to amend because they continue to generate revenue and individual buyers don't have the voice to initiate change...  

Message 46 of 68
Latest reply

@waratah45 wrote:

I feel your pain!  

What extra 'service' am I really paying for when I purchase secondhand items of jewellery from the USA  for personal use that are unavailable in Australia?  

I am contributing towards the USA sellers income/livelihood, I am contributing towards ebay USA in the way of fees via the seller, I am contributing towards USPS, DHL/FedEx etc, and I am contributing towards Australia Post.

So why should I be paying GST on a 'low priced item' that is secondhand?  Surely with such an advanced accounting system Ebay  could just filter and apply the GST fees to items that are listed and sold as 'new' only? 

Such a rort that they can't be bothered to amend because they continue to generate revenue and individual buyers don't have the voice to initiate change...  

the answer to your question of why you are paying GST on low-cost second hand imports rests with the federal Coalition government and not eBay.  There are no easy filters that eBay could apply without breaking Australian laws.

It is not an eBay rort and no amount of whinging or chest beating will result in any change to the government introduced changes to GST on low-cost imports, even on used goods.

Message 47 of 68
Latest reply

@waratah45 wrote:

I feel your pain!  

I am interested to hear how your buying of low-cost second hand jewellery from overseas sellers is contributing towards Australia Post?

If anything,  the purchase of low-cost overseas imports deliverable by Australian Post in Australia is actually detrimental to their business.

In simple terms, it costs Australia Post money to deliver your low-cost jewellery and you are in no way helping Australia Post when you buy from overseas.

If you are going to rant and rave you could at least get your facts right.

Message 48 of 68
Latest reply

Discogs is also collecting GST on behalf of the low taxing Libs.
Message 49 of 68
Latest reply

Someone in this thread wrote ' ... there are no easy filters that eBay could apply without breaking Australian laws ... ', but filters are easy to implement when things have already been classified as new, used, etc - and filters are easy to implement according to location - eBay already filters these things for search results.

I am both a buyer and sometimes seller on eBay.

In light of recent GST changes, I'd like to share my personal experience as an example of what's happening:

Since 1.7.18 I have sold 1 item on eBay as follows:

29.7.18 - 1 x EBAY ITEM sold for $15.00 - plus EXPRESS POSTAGE charge $15.00 = TOTAL $30.00.

(1) The item sold was a second-hand bracelet that I spent time and money on - around 1.5 hours cleaning and buffing with product, photographing & uploading, researching & describing, listing and responding to email questions about it.

(2) I didn't know the exact cost of Express Post + Signature, so I estimated it at $15.00.  I spent roughly $12.00 at Aust Post on the envelope (I didn't pay extra for signature this time though because of the postal address).  Again, time and money was spent in travel to and from Aust Post.

TOTAL $30.00, less $12.00 postage cost = New Balance $18.00.

(3) The next cost went to Paypal, who took their cut from the transaction, charged as 2.6% + 30 cents (based on item & postage of $30) = $1.08 deducted by Paypal before I saw one cent.

Balance $18.00, less Paypal charge of $1.08 = New Balance $16.92.

(4) The next cost went to eBay.  eBay (regardless of Paypal or Aust Post charges) treated the transaction as $30 in total:  eBay charged me Final Value Fee of 10.9% = $3.27 (which is noted by Ebay as INCLUDING AUSTRALIAN GST).

Balance $16.92, less eBay charge of $3.27 (because eBay charges for seller postage costs, the eBay charge equated to roughly 19% of what was left after Paypal and Aust Post costs)

= FINAL BALANCE of $13.65.

Now before you congratulate me on my business and profit-making skills, I should confess I have already spent the final balance, my princely sum of $13.65, on petrol and tranquilizers.

(5)  NOW... Enter this current Govt's new GST on eBay transactions from 1.7.18.

eBay has very clearly embraced this new tax.

eBay charged my credit card on 3.8.18
- directly to deduct $3.27 (transaction fees, as noted above)
- and then indirectly via Paypal to deduct an extra $0.97 (GST).

So even though the Final Value Fee of $3.27 is noted by Ebay as already including GST, I was still charged $0.97 GST via Paypal in a separate transaction which occurred the same day, but which occurred without any invoice or justification.

I have no idea how this $0.97 amount was calculated or what transaction/s it's supposed to be based on.

It's really not hard to justify WHY a charge has been made and what it's made up of. 

Where there's a will, there's a way. 

It appears there is no will.

So now, having already spent my $13.65 with gay abandon, I'm in the red and bankrupt to the tune of $0.97.

Donations kindly accepted.
Message 50 of 68
Latest reply