GST on second hand goods, is this true?

psrhlt
Community Member

Message from Ebay saying GST will be applicable to Ebay sales. Is this for new products only or both new and second hand?

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

imastawka
Honored Contributor

What did the message say specifically?

GST is not payable to the Tax Department until you sell $75,000 per year.

GST on overseas purchases will be introduced in July

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

GST applicable on eBay selling fees.

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

image host
Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

Ignore that overseas purchases bit.

The Gov't has put on a 12 month reprieve for GST on o'seas purchases.

Labor in talks over delaying GST on online sales | afr.com

Treasurer Scott Morrison has opened the door to giving online retailers a 12-month reprieve from imposing the GST on overseas purchases after industry complained the new regime would be unworkable.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/govt-labor-in-talks-over-delaying-gst-on-online-sales-20170530-gwgafn#ixzz4i...

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

Hi I also received that email and I forwarded it on to eBay as I believed it to be a fake email.

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

I also received a similar email but as it was only sent to my email address and didn't arrive in my ebay messages, I'm assuming it's a fake email.  Don't click on any links in emails asking for your details. This particular emails asks you to click on a link and enter your ABN. It's just another scam.

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

i got a very fake looking email from 'ebay' today too, sent it to oblivion

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

Is this GST only for electronic items or for every item on EBay? I also got email sent and binned it. Didint think it was from Ebay Team.

Another  one appeared in my Ebay inbox very late.

I really need clarification on this GST for Ebay. 

Thank You if you can assist

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

mine came through eBay messages:

eBay
Important: โ€œNetflix taxโ€ effective 1 July 2017
From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au, due to new legislation in Australia (the "Netflix Tax").

Businesses registered for GST will not be affected by this change if you register your Australian Business Number (ABN) with eBay here.

More information on this new legislation can be found here.
Regards,
The eBay Team
Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

psrhlt
Community Member

GST should not be applicable to second had items. The new product when sold new, had the GST paid then. If a tax has to be introduced on second hand items it should be a Stamp Duty. 

This would be the same as a secound hand car purchase. When sold the new owner has to pay a charge as a % of the total price that the car was brought. This charge can appear many times on the same car if sold many times in its life.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply