GST on second hand goods, is this true?

psrhlt
Community Member

Message from Ebay saying GST will be applicable to Ebay sales. Is this for new products only or both new and second hand?

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I just recived  an invioce from Ebay accounts for a seconhand lounge i sold on 1/05/18 for GST.  if this is the case i wont be using Ebay to sell seconhand goods .

Message 21 of 68
Latest reply

It would only have been GST on the final value fees.

Not the whole sale amount.

This is called the Netflix tax, which the government imposed on ebay.

Please read the link.

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/content/gst-fees-ebaycomau

If you're upset about that invoice, just wait til you get the one for the car.

Message 22 of 68
Latest reply

Won't be buying on Ebay overseas sites ever again. Just bought "second hand" car parts (45 years old) from UK. Ebay charged me 10% GST of the cost of the item AND 10% GST of the postage which has already had British VAT paid on it by the seller in UK!!! ATO tell me it applies to the "service" (as in goods and SERVICES tax) presumably provided by Ebay but is calculated on the total price paid including postage/delivery. No more buying off overseas ebays for me. watto10.2007

Message 23 of 68
Latest reply

Don't you read the news?  It's been all over the place for months.  It was supposed to have been brought in last July, but they put a hold on it until this year.

If you'd bought before July 1st, there wouldn't have been that extra 10%

Message 24 of 68
Latest reply

I still do not understand all the angst over paying GST on second hand items.

There has always been GST on second hand goods.....for the whole 18 years that we have been paying GST.

Message 25 of 68
Latest reply

Maybe they get confused because there's no GST on any goods when you buy from charity stores, such as the Salvo's?

Charities are exempt.

edit:  Has it really been 18 years?     Bluddy Nora, they'll want to put it up soon.

Message 26 of 68
Latest reply

If they want to increase the GST they have to get the approval of all states.....how likely is that?

Then there will be a cat fight over the distribution.....WA already thinks the Eastern States get too much.                ;

Message 27 of 68
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
I've bought plenty of second hand stuff that didn't have GST and sold plenty of second hand stuff and haven't had to remit GST to the Government. Mainly on Gumtree and with people knocking on my door asking if something is for sale.
So from what you are saying that is impossible? That I should contact the ATO and dob myself in?
Message 28 of 68
Latest reply

You only pay GST if you have sold $75,000 worth of stuff in a year.

I already said that in answer to the OP.

Didn't you read the thread at all?

Message 29 of 68
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
I did read the OP but the way Lyndel keeps stating it one is lead to believe that GST is payable on any transaction of a second hand good.
Message 30 of 68
Latest reply