Tanya Plibersek Under Fire

Labor’s Tanya Plibersek has been forced to defend herself against backlash over her idea to have school kids recite Australia’s citizenship pledge.

The shadow education minister made the suggestion during a speech at the Opera House on Australia Day.

She expressed her love for the citizenship pledge and suggested it should be taught to Australian school students.

The pledge reads: “I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.”

But she’s faced significant backlash over the idea, with people calling it “disappointing” and “retrograde”.

But Tanya Plibersek tells Ben Fordham it’s possible to be both a progressive and love your country.

“People are entitled to their views and my view is that I think the citizenship pledge is a beautiful expression of what it takes to be a citizen.

“We pledge our loyalty to our country and to each other, it’s not to the crown, it’s not to a political party, it’s to one another and I think that’s really in line with the best traditions of Australia.”

https://www.2gb.com/tanya-plibersek-defends-idea-to-have-school-kids-learn-patriotic-pledge/?fbclid=...

2020-01-27 (2).png

I could accept Tanya Plibersek as a Labor Prime Minister

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@icyfroth wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

Goodo then.

Yeah, Goodo, and Righto!

That's just one of the many good things about living in Aus.

Freedom of speech.

Exactly.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

It was ' rote ' when we all went to school.

Doubt anything has changed.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Was it?

When I was going to primary school, we had sing "God save the Queen and recite the Lord's prayer every morning before lessons began.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

sadly many of those elected to govern dont believe the pledge

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

in S.A. this is what we had to recite:

Schoolyard assembly

Once a week, we would all stand lined up and to attention, on the signal the flag would be "run up". The boys would salute and the girls stand to attention. Then we would place our right hand on our heart and recite "I love God and my country, I honour the flag, I will serve the Queen, and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law".
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I went to a Catholic school.

We didn't have assembly. 

But if we did, we would've only been allowed to pledge allegiance to God.

Or die in hell's fury and brimstone.

Ah........good times.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Oh LOL - and having done all that - time to march into class.

It was a great kudo - to be chosen to put the vinyl on the player - for the march.

Only had one chance.

Due to the fact all ' hurried ' into class - I was never chosen again.

Turn up the speed - got to love record players.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
in S.A. this is what we had to recite:

Schoolyard assembly

Once a week, we would all stand lined up and to attention, on the signal the flag would be "run up". The boys would salute and the girls stand to attention. Then we would place our right hand on our heart and recite "I love God and my country, I honour the flag, I will serve the Queen, and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law".

How excruciatingly jingoistic. Even that great imperialist, Rudyard Kipling, had no patience with what he termed jelly-bellied flag-flappers.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I don't agree with Ms Plibersek that the oath of allegiance should be recited in school. Enough that it's taken in the Citizenship ceremony.

But I admire her for saying so.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Haven't you got something more important to talk about, 2GB? Like Morrison's part in the sports grants or Angus Taylor's criminal activities.
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply