Tanya Plibersek Under Fire

Labor’s Tanya Plibersek has been forced to defend herself against backlash over her idea to have school kids recite Australia’s citizenship pledge.

The shadow education minister made the suggestion during a speech at the Opera House on Australia Day.

She expressed her love for the citizenship pledge and suggested it should be taught to Australian school students.

The pledge reads: “I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.”

But she’s faced significant backlash over the idea, with people calling it “disappointing” and “retrograde”.

But Tanya Plibersek tells Ben Fordham it’s possible to be both a progressive and love your country.

“People are entitled to their views and my view is that I think the citizenship pledge is a beautiful expression of what it takes to be a citizen.

“We pledge our loyalty to our country and to each other, it’s not to the crown, it’s not to a political party, it’s to one another and I think that’s really in line with the best traditions of Australia.”

https://www.2gb.com/tanya-plibersek-defends-idea-to-have-school-kids-learn-patriotic-pledge/?fbclid=...

2020-01-27 (2).png

I could accept Tanya Plibersek as a Labor Prime Minister

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Goodo then.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Exactly. Deflection from the flat earthers radio station.
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

i dont need to pledge my loyalty to austraia and its people

why?

because i live in australia and dont do carp that would harm australia or its people

i leave that to my government

like getting into bed with foriegn govts to start wars with other foriegn govts

like handing large wads of my cash to foriegn countries so instead of feeding their people they can buy weapons and kill their own people and people of other countries.

like sending refugees to off shore prisons and misstreat them in hope they will go home to get murdered in their own country.

like bugging foriegn embassys to cheat other countries out of their own wealth to my advantage.

like treating the indiginous people on my country like a problem that just wont go away

no, i dont do those things, my government does that in my name.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Goodo then.

Yeah, Goodo, and Righto!

That's just one of the many good things about living in Aus.

Freedom of speech.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@twyngwyn wrote:
in S.A. this is what we had to recite:

Schoolyard assembly

Once a week, we would all stand lined up and to attention, on the signal the flag would be "run up". The boys would salute and the girls stand to attention. Then we would place our right hand on our heart and recite "I love God and my country, I honour the flag, I will serve the Queen, and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law".

How excruciatingly jingoistic. Even that great imperialist, Rudyard Kipling, had no patience with what he termed jelly-bellied flag-flappers.

Great scene/s in Stalky & Co Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

Goodo then.

Yeah, Goodo, and Righto!

That's just one of the many good things about living in Aus.

Freedom of speech.

Exactly.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
Haven't you got something more important to talk about, 2GB? Like Morrison's part in the sports grants or Angus Taylor's criminal activities.

I'll leave that to you, Myo.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Will do. I'll leave the black gangs etc to you Alan and Ray.
Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Labor’s Tanya Plibersek has been forced to defend herself against backlash over her idea to have school kids recite Australia’s citizenship pledge.

The shadow education minister made the suggestion during a speech at the Opera House on Australia Day.

She expressed her love for the citizenship pledge and suggested it should be taught to Australian school students.

The pledge reads: “I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.”

But she’s faced significant backlash over the idea, with people calling it “disappointing” and “retrograde”.

But Tanya Plibersek tells Ben Fordham it’s possible to be both a progressive and love your country.

“People are entitled to their views and my view is that I think the citizenship pledge is a beautiful expression of what it takes to be a citizen.

“We pledge our loyalty to our country and to each other, it’s not to the crown, it’s not to a political party, it’s to one another and I think that’s really in line with the best traditions of Australia.”

https://www.2gb.com/tanya-plibersek-defends-idea-to-have-school-kids-learn-patriotic-pledge/?fbclid=...

2020-01-27 (2).png

I could accept Tanya Plibersek as a Labor Prime Minister

My thoughts exactly. There is only two people in the current Labor party who are genuine Prime Minister material. Tanya Plibersek and Penny Wong. I might not agree with their political philosophy but at least they dont live in "Austraya" like Shorten and Albo......Man Very Happy  Trouble is the boofy Union boys club that runs the Labor party are too misogonistic to give them a run.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

I don't agree with Ms Plibersek that the oath of allegiance should be recited in school. Enough that it's taken in the Citizenship ceremony.

But I admire her for saying so.

I've never had to recite it, but I've never participated in a Citizenship ceremony.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply