Tanya Plibersek Under Fire

Labor’s Tanya Plibersek has been forced to defend herself against backlash over her idea to have school kids recite Australia’s citizenship pledge.

The shadow education minister made the suggestion during a speech at the Opera House on Australia Day.

She expressed her love for the citizenship pledge and suggested it should be taught to Australian school students.

The pledge reads: “I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.”

But she’s faced significant backlash over the idea, with people calling it “disappointing” and “retrograde”.

But Tanya Plibersek tells Ben Fordham it’s possible to be both a progressive and love your country.

“People are entitled to their views and my view is that I think the citizenship pledge is a beautiful expression of what it takes to be a citizen.

“We pledge our loyalty to our country and to each other, it’s not to the crown, it’s not to a political party, it’s to one another and I think that’s really in line with the best traditions of Australia.”

https://www.2gb.com/tanya-plibersek-defends-idea-to-have-school-kids-learn-patriotic-pledge/?fbclid=...

2020-01-27 (2).png

I could accept Tanya Plibersek as a Labor Prime Minister

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Tanya Plibersek Under Fire

go-tazz
Community Member

@icyfroth wrote:

She expressed her love for the citizenship pledge and suggested it should be taught to Australian school students.

The pledge reads: “I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.”

They are just words are so easy to ignore by those that don't give a carp anyway and they remind me of some

religious beliefs in that they have to keep repeating something so that it becomes a part of them.

There are also "agencies" that will keep at a person with a lie until they believe it's the truth.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

“People are entitled to their views and my view is that I think the citizenship pledge is a beautiful expression of what it takes to be a citizen.

Actions not words dictates what it takes to be a citizen that upholds those words and believes themselves to be part

of this great country.good.gif

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

"Trouble is the boofy Union boys club that runs the Labor party are too misogonistic to give them a run"

And how many women have been at the helm of the LNP? Not sure? Ask Julie Bishop.
Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

the boys dont want girl germs in the big room

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply