Gardening advice,wandering jew

Last year around  this time I brought some striped wandering jew on ebay.I put it in a couple of pots and all the leaves died  and only the stems remained ,I thought I had done my money  as it looked dead.Come Spring it suddenly thrived and now I have several huge pots .

What im wondering is should it come undercover for the cold weather? Its looking so good im just wondering in inner Sydney will it die off anyway and just reappear in spring or did it just nearly die off because perhaps it is not happy in dew or something ( I think frost involves ice ,we dont get that but I think its dew we get ,all wet after dark)

If anyone has in the garden  id  be interested  to know if it dies off in cold weather 

Thanks

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

And there's always the chance on teensy piece of it will

break off.

And then   BAM    your backyard is covered in it before

you can say  "Where's my secateurs?"

Message 11 of 40
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

lmao smiley.gif  All this advice on how to kill it.

And yet OP wants to know how to baby-sit it over winter.

If it's in pots - throw 'em in the bin!  

Now,  don't wait another minute

Sadly, I think the OP's gonna have to wait until it sets seed or propagates from a broken stem before they realize just how invasive this carp is - then they'll curse it like the rest of us!

Tradescantia_fluminensis__Wandering_Jew.JPG

Message 12 of 40
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

lmao smiley.gif  All this advice on how to kill it.

And yet OP wants to know how to baby-sit it over winter.

If it's in pots - throw 'em in the bin!  

Now,  don't wait another minute

I'm with stawks here. Toss it all in the Bin. As far a I know, it's a Noxious Weed

Message 13 of 40
Latest reply

Why is it for sale on eBay. It is toxic and goes nuts in the sub tropics. Please dice it.
Message 14 of 40
Latest reply

It is a weed, one our council forbids anyone to grow............but wont do anything if neighbour grows it and it comes into my place..........boiling water helps to kill it, but who wants to stand outside all day tipping boiling water on it, especially when we have acres of itSmiley Sad

Message 15 of 40
Latest reply

Just had a look at ebay.

7 lots for sale - and none of it is cheap either

Wonder if there's a market for bindii

(runs off to pot some up)

Message 16 of 40
Latest reply

I managed to get rid off it by first pulling every little bit I could see out, then I covered the area (it was a corner of my garden about 5m x 5m) thickly with well overlapping newspapers, and then covered it with liquid amber leaves.  that was about 8 years ago and so far so good.  The newspapers rotted away and the area is clear.  But I dread what would happen if I got it again; we do not buy newspapers any more and I do not know anybody who does.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 18 of 40
Latest reply

The purple leaf variety is not a weed and is not as prolific as the common variety.although it has the same characteristic of being unkillable.   It is used by landscape gardeners.

When I moved in here 45 years ago we had some in a rock garden near the back door.  My 16 month old toddler hated it and made a point of pulling it out every time she went past it.  Despite years of this treatment it still grew and made a nice patch of colour in an area that was hard to plant.

Daughter left home and we got a dog (Westie) with very sensitive skin...but, surprisingly,  he was not allergic to this plant.  He also knocked pieces off this plant but it still flourished.   It is tenacious, if nothing else and rather pretty with its purple leaves and mauve flowers.

We had some of the common variety in the front garden and it took many years of pulling, digging, spraying, smothering and any other treatment that was suggested to get rid of it.

Message 19 of 40
Latest reply

Do people actually pay money for that  cra plant?  http://www.emoticonhq.com/images/ICQ/surprised.jpg

well bugger me.

Message 20 of 40
Latest reply