Gardening advice,wandering jew

Last year around  this time I brought some striped wandering jew on ebay.I put it in a couple of pots and all the leaves died  and only the stems remained ,I thought I had done my money  as it looked dead.Come Spring it suddenly thrived and now I have several huge pots .

What im wondering is should it come undercover for the cold weather? Its looking so good im just wondering in inner Sydney will it die off anyway and just reappear in spring or did it just nearly die off because perhaps it is not happy in dew or something ( I think frost involves ice ,we dont get that but I think its dew we get ,all wet after dark)

If anyone has in the garden  id  be interested  to know if it dies off in cold weather 

Thanks

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Yeah I am stunned that anyone would grow it as a decorative plant. Or that anyone manages to sell it. 

Message 21 of 40
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=72&m=10412&ps=50&dm=1&pd=2&am=10416

Discussion: Wandering Jew

That link is hilarious - s/he wanted to pull it out and put it in the compost bin. OMG!

Message 22 of 40
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Yeah I am stunned that anyone would grow it as a decorative plant. Or that anyone manages to sell it. 

As PT Barnum said...'there's a sucker born every minute!'

Message 23 of 40
Latest reply

Well came back to see if I got an answer and nearly died laughing ...some people just hate this plant Smiley LOL. The one I have is the striped one Zebrina and it is not so bad as some. I first saw it in a florist for $60 a basket.

I had the standard white flowering type once in the side passage and its the one that gives dogs bad allergies ,It is very hard to eliminate but I killed it by letting the chooks feed on it every week and no plant can survive chooks rooting around in it for long and they loved eating it as well.

Down in my local parks there is one that gets beautiful blue flowers but I notice it is spreading dreadfully and I was thinking just today that it will be out of all control if something is not done I have only seen it in the last couple of years  but it has become an infestation in the last few months so I can see that some types are dreadfull

Message 24 of 40
Latest reply

All 3 varieties you just mentioned are noxious weeds amalan.

Message 25 of 40
Latest reply

Oh well I guess winter will not kill it then,im suprised the zebrina is considered so as I  have seen it in kmart and bunnings but As I said it has thrived into a huge mass over warmer weather so I can see it could become a problem if it was let go wild

Message 26 of 40
Latest reply

I wouldn't laugh.   Have you actually done any research on Zebrina?

Impacts

Zebrina (Tradescantia zebrina) is regarded as an environmental weed in Queensland and New South Wales.

From here -

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/03030800-0b07-490a-8d04-0605030c0f01/media/Html/Tradesc...

Message 27 of 40
Latest reply

That is interesting,Cockroach grass mm that sounds ominous.I have never had flowers so far but perhaps that's a good thing as It may not be good if it seeds .

After reading that, im still not sorry as it is very pretty but I will be careful to make sure I keep an eye on its spread and if it gets to the point where I am disposing of cuttings or anything I will be sure not to just toss in green bin  until im sure its dead .That's probably how the blue one got to the local parks and it is a shame to see it suffocating native plants .

Its strange really that it is sold in big stores if it is such a pest,should be a tag attached .Still I guess its like Agapanthus they are expensive in stores ans all over Sydney yet iv heard they are a nightmare in the Blue mountains as they spread all over .

Message 28 of 40
Latest reply

my sister and I break in to a fit og giggles and point and go ooh ahhh whenever we see Lantana in the southern nurseries. It's a noxious weed where we come from

Message 29 of 40
Latest reply

I'm in Melbourne.  Is that southern?

Noxious weed here too

Message 30 of 40
Latest reply