Homemade cooking - Lets ditch the beetles!

As a follow up to the beetles thread. As in what is actually in factory made food and food colourings etc.

What did you make at home???

I'll start.

I made bread and butter custard last night ....  was soooo delicious!

Haven't had that since teenhood in the 80's, twas the first time i'd ever made it myself.

YUMMMM.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Tonight im cooking smoked hock & bacon minestra ( maltese dish same as ministrone made with a smoked hock & bacon pieces & vegies ect)..served with crusty bead & desert will be a  Berry &  coconut slice  

Message 21 of 73
Latest reply

I didn't know that was a Maltese dish Jenni.  I made my minestrone with stock from a ham hock once and it was very nice.

Joono
Message 22 of 73
Latest reply

The maltese have a certain way they cook it slightly different to the italian way..It is really yum & warms you up on a chilly night..The meat is cooked slowly in the pot until it melts and with all lthe other ingrediants carrot..peas..lima beans..potato..pumpkin ect 

Message 23 of 73
Latest reply

I like simple dishes, cooked from fresh ingredients.  

Asparagus with Smoked Salmon 

This is an entree (appetizer for Americans, I think).  

Ingredients

6 stalks asparagus per person

Smoked salmon to encircle asparagus ... can do singly, or in twos or threes - a 50 g pack can be enough for 6 serves.  

For serving

1 capsicum (preferably red or yellow)

Dip made from 1 container sour cream, 1 grated cucumber and garlic to taste (can be jazzed up with onion, paprika, whatever). 

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, wrap salmon around asparagus stalks, place on lightly oiled baking tray, put in oven.  

Mix dip ingredients and taste check.

The asparagus is cooked when it is still crunchy and the salmon is pinkish rather than orange.  

Cut the capsicum into three slices, remove seeds and pith.  Place a slice on a serving plate, add dip, serve asparagus on plate.  Repeat.  

All the flavors blend, and the colours are pretty.  It looks nice and it tastes great.  

Message 24 of 73
Latest reply

I love salmon in all forms 🙂

with a salmon fillet, I use a little sweet balsamic reduction (on the plate) .. I make it then keep in a squeezy bottle 🙂

and thin strips of roasted red capsicum go on top of the salmon.

will do that tomorrow, now I've thought about it

Spoiler
Can't eat garlic though 😞 have tried...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 25 of 73
Latest reply

MY FAV Cake.

LEMON YOGHURT CAKE.

3/4 cup of sugar

one cup of oil

2 eggs

rind of two lemons

Beat together in big bowl

Add 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup of plain unsweetened Yoghurt

2cups self raising Flour

Mix, put into two sponge tins

Cook at 180c for 30- 40 minutes

I usually put plain icing on this cake with a little lemon juice

Message 26 of 73
Latest reply

I had visitors last Friday evening and they always serve an entree when we eat there so I looked for something different to serve them.

I ended up doing deep fried advocado and everyone loved it.

I cut the advocado into wedges, dipped it into lemon juice so it wouldn't brown then plain flour, egg wash and panko bread crumbs.  Shallow fried it and drained it on paper towelling and served it with sweet chilli sauce.  It was yum!

My husband doesn't like advocado but he tried it and even he liked it.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 27 of 73
Latest reply

Like I said, I like simple recipes.

Place raw lamb shanks in a slow cooker. Add one can of tomatoes for every two shanks. Cook on low for 8 hours (after cooking it on high for 20 minutes).

Falling off the bone delicious meat is the result ... serve the meat and juice on couscous for a satisfying meal with no stress. Add steamed vegetables of your choice.

Message 28 of 73
Latest reply

i made faccaccia in the slow cooker last week - it was quick, easy as and delicious!

Message 29 of 73
Latest reply

Feel like tomato soup?  Forget the cans.  

Heat a little butter in a saucepan, add tomatoes (three or 4 per person), throw in chopped onions, garlic, and then simmer until tomatoes are "mushy".  Add some lemon juice and black pepper and water to make a soupy mixture.  Cook until ingredients are blended ... use a blender if you want a smooth texture.  

Skip the water and you have a pasta sauce.  

Reduce the mix (by simmering) and you have a pizza sauce.  

Add mushrooms or chopped capsicum or whatever ... 

Message 30 of 73
Latest reply