Horse Racing is Stupid. Period.

@**bob_on_the_go** wrote:

So there. 

That's pretty deep botg.

Here are the rules to winning:

Don't bet on the jumps

Don't bet on 2-year-olds early in their careers

Avoid betting if the track is very wet

Never accept any price lower than 6/4 (that's $2:50 if you have been put through our alleged education system)

Once you land your winner quit the track.

Message 3 of 73
Latest reply

I never been to or seen one, so I have no idea. Bob, can you go into some detail and explain how it's stupid? and Boris, can you explain how it's cruel? Being a big fan of Nascar,  I always thought it might be fun to watch. to watch horses race too. Just never got around to it, and please keep in mind that I know nothing at all about horse racing.

I been on a horse one time and it seemed to me as though he liked being rode and wanted to go faster than I wanted to go. I had to slow him down.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 4 of 73
Latest reply

Horse racing is a big industry......... the economy benefits from it.

Just like dog racing, dog breeding, cattle production, pork production etc. There are rules and laws in place to protect animals from abuse, if anyone has objections to the industries, they are quite at liberty to support the legitimate efforts to enforce those rules and laws.

Message 5 of 73
Latest reply

Making animal suffer and die for the purpose of human entertainment. Stupid heh. 

Message 6 of 73
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

Horse racing is a big industry......... the economy benefits from it.

Just like dog racing, dog breeding, cattle production, pork production etc. There are rules and laws in place to protect animals from abuse, if anyone has objections to the industries, they are quite at liberty to support the legitimate efforts to enforce those rules and laws.

Are you saying we should do things because the economy benefits from it?

Message 7 of 73
Latest reply

I am  saying what I said................. no need to change it.

Message 8 of 73
Latest reply

@**bob_on_the_go** wrote:

Making animal suffer and die for the purpose of human entertainment. Stupid heh. 

I'm inclined to agree.

But the racehorses are treated very well in comparison to working horses or horses that have been bought for recreation and abandoned in a paddock once they were of no longer use.

Message 9 of 73
Latest reply

I suppose when you consider that the horses have no choice in the matter, you make a good point. In Nascar, the drivers, pit crew, and people watching in the stands are at some risk, but they have a clear choice not to be there. I can imagine if the stakes are high enough, those horses can be ridden way past the point of their endurance limit. They probibly drug them up pretty good too with some kind of steroids or speed. Just a guess.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 10 of 73
Latest reply