How to stop the dog digging a hole in our lounge

Our dog, a Maltese x poodle, hates the car. We have to leave her at home whenever we go out.

When we get home, she has dug into the lounge... she's almost through the top layer!!!!

How and what can we do to discourage her??? Her bed is right next to the lounge....!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to stop the dog digging a hole in our lounge

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'd put her bed in the laundry or bathroom and lock her in

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I have one of those too and it seems that a lot of them have some separation anxiety - type issues, especially if she's only doing it when you're not there.

There are some good distraction - type toys that you can get from good pet suppliers. Kongs, and other puzzle toys that you can put food treats inside (dry dog bikkies, peanut butter and cheese are also good because they take longer to get at!)  These toys are designed to exercise their brains as well as distract them from destructive behaviours.

It might be helpful to move her bed/crate away from the couch when you're going out and put her toys in her bed. There are also heavy duty dog blankets designed to throw over couches to keep dog hair/smells at bay and something like this will at least offer your couch a reprieve.

Increasing the dog's walkies and general exercise can be helpful because they're a lot like kids - much less trouble when they're shagged out!

Hope this helps,

Mariina.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Buy her a friend.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

i think you were tricked when you got the "dog"

what you actually have there is a "welsh miner"

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Years ago a friend had a dog that completely destroyed everything when she went out. Curtains would be chewed, holes in the lounge, carpet threads everywhere. She started leaving the radio on when she went out and the dog stopped being destructive. One time she forgot the radio and came home to a trashed house.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

By a crate and put her in it when you need to go out, my dogs love their crates

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I do agree with plenty of exercise as that usually tires them out. That breed particularly needs it.   Without it they can be destructive in my experience.

Introducing her to a large crate or better a large baby play pen for dogs is a good idea. I gather if they are taught to see it as a haven rather than a punishment it can be good.  Bushies would know more about crate training.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply