I went to start a thread about refugees and asylum seekers last night but...

j*oono
Community Member

I copied some photos last night and I wanted to post them here but I thought better of it because they are very distressing.

Is it time for Tony Abbott, Dutton and Chris Morrison to look into their hearts?

Turn back the boats to what?  Stop the boats for what reason?  I have no doubt that they have seen these photos of a young 3yr old boy washed up on the beach and his slightly older brother and his mother drowned too.

Joono
Message 1 of 800
Latest reply
799 REPLIES 799

­

Flashback to February 2015: Islamic State threatens to flood Europe with refugees

Message 161 of 800
Latest reply

The long con, global style.

Jumping in boots and all screaming to all how compassionate you are doesn't make sense. Knee jerk reactions never do. The bigger picture always needs to be looked at before making major decisions. I wish all politcial parties in Australia would think before reacting to media reports, ie: stop thinking about elections and do the right thing for all of us who live here. That may mean taking in refugees from Europe, if indeed they wish to come here, it may not.

Message 162 of 800
Latest reply

@bluecat*stopsdancing wrote:

Both Germany and Austria have now opened up their borders for refugees. It is heartening to see  at least some countries being a part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

austria really needed to allow free

passage to germany because its germany

where the refugees want to go.

they didn't want to stay in greece, macedonia

or serbia and are refusing to register their

asylum claims in hungary.  

300 refugees broke out of an asylum processing

camp near the serbian border.

an interview with one of the refugees:

Asked why not stay here, Mr. Darwish said: “If we stay in Hungary there is no work. We can’t study. The language is very strange, and they’re not helping refugees.”

the language is very strange ???

Message 163 of 800
Latest reply

Hungarian authorities announced they would put buses on to take the refugees to the Austrian border. The Austrian chancellor, Werner Faymann, confirmed Austria and Germany would allow them in.

obviously germany won't be able to take

all refugees wanting to apply for asylum 

there so the plan is:

Britain, France and Germany have urged the EU to move quickly to set up migrants’ reception centres in frontline countries such as Italy and Greece.

The centres would identify genuine asylum-seekers fleeing war or persecution, and economic migrants to be sent back to their home countries.

The three countries want the centres to be set up “by the end of the year,” a French official said.

The ministers also called for the EU to draw up a list of "safe countries of origin". Applications for asylum by nationals of those countries would automatically be rejected.

Message 164 of 800
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

kobane needs help

Appeal: Call for international aid to rebuild and normalize life in the canton of Kobane

After months of fighting, our brave YPG and YPJ units have successfully driven out all ISIS terrorists from our democratic canton of Kobane. We are grateful for all the international support that we have received to achieve this victory in battle. However, as of yet, we have received no official humanitarian aid from any government or international organization. Out of the 525,000 civilians from the Kobane canton, only 25,000 currently reside within Kobane. Of the remaining civilians, 200,000 are currently trapped in Turkey and the rest have spread to different countries. They are all waiting to return to their homes. In order to facilitate the smooth transition of refugees back to their rightful homes, there are a number of obstacles that must be overcome.

http://helpkobane.com/blog/2015/02/14/a-call-for-international-aid-to-rebuild-and-normalize-life-in-...

one of our politicians had the idea of dropping food parcels into Syria instead of bombs maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all

in order for the kobani people to rebuild their

lives and receive humanitarian assistance,

isis needed to be defeated and kobani liberated.

fighting isis with food parcels would have been

ineffective. 

of course, australia has already been providing

humanitarian assistance as a response to the

syrian crisis.

are you sure that idea came from a politician?

it doesn't make sense. 

Message 165 of 800
Latest reply

Given the mindset of the majority of Australians,it's much more acceptable to bomb people than offer asylum.A bit cheaper too.We have a budget emergency,you know.
Message 166 of 800
Latest reply

I see the passive aggressive claws are out again.

Say no to kneejerking. Embrace looking at all options available before making a considered decision.

Or just keep bashing the elected party you didn't vote for.

Message 167 of 800
Latest reply

not enough countries participate in the

refugee resettlement program. 

australia is ranked second after the US.

italy has recently joined the program

and korea announced a 3 year resettlement

pilot programme

there has to be more countries?

Message 168 of 800
Latest reply

@nevynreally wrote:

Say no to kneejerking. Embrace looking at all options available before making a considered decision.

And on this subject I also bash the opposition I didn't vote for.Maybe the other poster was right.Maybe they don't want to come here after all.Would you like to live under a government that condones rape and assault?

Message 169 of 800
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:

@nevynreally wrote:

And on this subject I also bash the opposition I didn't vote for.Maybe the other poster was right.Maybe they don't want to come here after all.Would you like to live under a government that condones rape and assault?

Doctors psychologists teachers and contract workers that report rapes assaults and depressive disorders happening in detention centres at Manus and Nauru could be prosecuted and jailed because of the border force act.

This was passed with Labors agreement.  Only the Greens opposed it.

Joono
Message 170 of 800
Latest reply