I went to start a thread about refugees and asylum seekers last night but...

j*oono
Community Member

I copied some photos last night and I wanted to post them here but I thought better of it because they are very distressing.

Is it time for Tony Abbott, Dutton and Chris Morrison to look into their hearts?

Turn back the boats to what?  Stop the boats for what reason?  I have no doubt that they have seen these photos of a young 3yr old boy washed up on the beach and his slightly older brother and his mother drowned too.

Joono
Message 1 of 800
Latest reply
799 REPLIES 799

@opmania wrote:
So what is the point you are making and is it really
Relevant to this thread
Was it agent orange or napalm
Who really cares it was 40 years ago that child got on
With her life I think you need to let it go

The point? The statement regarding the photo was incorrect. Nothing more nothing less, except for the condescending comment made when it was pointed out.

2 comments and I need to let it go? Lol.

Message 171 of 800
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

not enough countries participate in the refugee resettlement program. 

australia is ranked second after the US.

italy has recently joined the program and korea announced a 3 year resettlement pilot programme

there has to be more countries?

Rubbery figures will not solve the problem.....although they may make the blinkered feel much better

The fact is that last month 21000 refugees arrived in Greece and 0  arrived in Australia

So by default a country that is nigh on broke took 21,000 refugees....they didn't know where they were going to put them. This month they will not know either.... but they will still arrive

http://www.unhcr.org/55d32dcf6.html

"The latest figures compiled by UNHCR show the number of sea arrivals from 1 January to 14 August 2015 to be 158,456.

During the same period, 1,716 refugees and migrants entered Greece through its land border with Turkey, bringing the total number of arrivals (sea and land) to 160,172," UNHCR spokesperson William Spindler told a press briefing in Geneva.

He added that last week alone nearly 21,000 refugees and migrants arrived in Greece, almost half the total

number of arrivals in all of 2014.

"The pace of arrivals has been steadily increasing in recent weeks," Spindler told reporters, adding that: "the vast majority of last week's arrivals were Syrians (16,997 people or 82% of the total), Afghans (2,847 or 14%) and Iraqis (582 or 3%), confirming that the overwhelming majority of arrivals are likely to qualify for refugee status."

The latest figures from Greece bring the total number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean this

year to some 264,500, including 158,456 to Greece, approximately 104,000 to Italy, 1,953 to Spain and 94 to Malta.

How does australia's effort present????

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp141...

Australia has a long history of accepting refugees for resettlement and over 800,000 refugees and displaced

persons have settled in Australia since 1945.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-17/world-hasn-t-had-so-many-refugees-since-1945-repor...

About 1 percent of the global population, or about 73 million people, have been forced to leave their homes amid a spike in armed conflict over the past four years, the Institute for Economics and Peace, which compiles the Global Peace Index, said in a report published on Wednesday.

According to UNHCR the countries hosting the most refugees at the end of 2013 were

:

• Pakistan (1.6 million)
  • Iran (857,400)
  • Lebanon (856,500)
  • Jordan (641,900)
  • Turkey (609,900)
  • Kenya (534,900)
  • Chad (434,500)
  • Ethiopia (433,900)
  • China (301,000)
  • USA (263,600)7

UNHCR also reports that the majority of refugees and asylum seekers - particularly people fleeing conflict - prefer to stay close to home. In 2013, developing countries hosted over 86% of the world's refugees, compared to 70% ten years ago.8

Pakistan is presently hosting more refugees than Australia has accepted in total since1945

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 172 of 800
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

Has the penny dropped yet?

The reason Europe is now under siege is because all EU countries dropped border control and allowed free travel between countries with no checks or balances.

The reason they are now flooded with all kinds of migrants is because they have no border policies.

There has been wars in Europe and Africa since time began and this tidal flood of people never happened before.  Solution:  this is a European problem to be solved by Europe, brought on by the EU and now we are being called on to try to solve another European stuff up, just like we were called up in WW1 and WW2 and all other European disasters and lost thousands of our young men.

I will not be made to feel less than human if I do not believe this is another problem Australia has to come to the aid of, I will not be lectured by the "let them all in brigade" , I will not agree that Australia is not pulling above our weight in regard to refugee intake and I will not agree that this is a fault of Australia for not opening our borders.

Message 173 of 800
Latest reply

@djlukjilly wrote:

The reason Europe is now under siege is because all EU countries dropped border control and allowed free travel between countries with no checks or balances.

The reason they are now flooded with all kinds of migrants is because they have no border policies.

There has been wars in Europe and Africa since time began and this tidal flood of people never happened before.  Solution:  this is a European problem to be solved by Europe, brought on by the EU and now we are being called on to try to solve another European stuff up, just like we were called up in WW1 and WW2 and all other European disasters and lost thousands of our young men.

I will not be made to feel less than human if I do not believe this is another problem Australia has to come to the aid of, I will not be lectured by the "let them all in brigade" , I will not agree that Australia is not pulling above our weight in regard to refugee intake and I will not agree that this is a fault of Australia for not opening our borders.

Are you sure it's not your conscience that's making you feel less than human rather than boring facts and figures?

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 174 of 800
Latest reply

The numbers don't lie.
Message 175 of 800
Latest reply

There are facts and there are statistics and then there's outright lies so no, I do not agree with anything you put up.

Message 176 of 800
Latest reply

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

@djlukjilly wrote:

Are you sure it's not your conscience that's making you feel less than human rather than boring facts and figures?

Obviously boring facts are something that is foreign to you. I don't like to get personal so this is the last time I'll respond to a personal post from you. My conscience is clear, thank you for asking.

Message 177 of 800
Latest reply

Hello everyone.

Please rmember to be polite and that everyone is entitled to an opinion.  

Remember to keep it civil.

Thanks

Message 178 of 800
Latest reply

Thanks for that, glad your on the ball this lovely morning. Heart

Message 179 of 800
Latest reply

Rubbery figures will not solve the problem.....although they may make the blinkered feel much better

i suggest you take that up with the

unhcr then and those countries that

dont participate.

Resettlement is the transfer of refugees from an asylum country to another State that has agreed to admit them and ultimately grant them permanent settlement. UNHCR is mandated by its Statute and the UN General Assembly Resolutions to undertake resettlement as one of the three durable solutions. Resettlement is unique in that it is the only durable solution that involves the relocation of refugees from an asylum country to a third country. Of the 14.4 million refugees of concern to UNHCR around the world, less than one per cent is submitted for resettlement.

Only a small number of States take part in UNHCR's resettlement programme. The United States is the world's top resettlement country, while Australia, Canada and the Nordic countries also provide a sizeable number of places annually. In 2015, Italy became a new resettlement country and The Republic of Korea announced a three-year resettlement pilot programme, increasing the number of resettlement countries to 28.

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/4a16b1676.html

Australia's refugee resettlement program was ranked second in the world in 2013, behind only the US and marginally ahead of Canada. These three countries hosted 90 per cent of resettled refugees in 2013.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/as-world-refugee-numbers-hit-50-million-australia-goes-backwards-2014...

Message 180 of 800
Latest reply